The Furman University Police Department exists to maintain a safe and secure atmosphere on campus, conducive to the educational mission of Furman University.
The Furman University Police Department, in partnership with the campus community, seeks to achieve our mission by upholding the “weightier matters of the law:” Justice, Mercy, and Faithfulness:
- Justice – Treating everyone with equity and uprightness; being impartial in our duty; rendering to each what is owed and not injuring or deceiving others; recognizing the inherent value of each individual;
- Mercy – Demonstrating compassion towards those in distress; protecting those who are victims of crime or unjustly oppressed; exercising discretion in the enforcement of the law;
- Faithfulness – Executing our duties with strict integrity; treating others as we want to be treated; faithfully adhering to the spirit of our Constitution, state laws, department policies, and Furman University’s core values.
We commit to pursuing these values with courage, moderation, wisdom, and humility.
Trust and Transparency
The men and women of the Furman University Police Department honor the public trust by holding ourselves to the highest standards of performance and ethics. We embrace these principles as first laid out by Sir Robert Peele:
- Our objective is to prevent crime, not catch criminals. An effective police department does not have high arrest stats; its community has low crime rates.
- The key to preventing crime is by earning public support. Every community member must share the responsibility of preventing crime.
- The police earn public support by respecting community principles. Winning public approval requires diligent work: enforcing the laws impartially, hiring officers who represent and understand the community, and using force only as a last resort.
To enhance public trust, the Furman University Police Department has undertaken the following steps:
- Deployment of body-worn cameras for all on-duty patrol officers.
- Easy access to mechanisms to compliment or complain about police conduct.
- Creation of a police advisory committee consisting of students, faculty, and staff.
- Train officers on topics such as implicit bias, de-escalation, diversity, and inclusion.
- Implement policies that reflect best practices and hold officers to a high standard of conduct.
- Establish stronger relationships with students through the Officer Liaison Program.
Law Enforcement Code of Ethics
As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve the community; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the constitutional rights of all to liberty, equality, and justice.
I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all and will behave in a manner that does not bring discredit to me or to my agency. I will maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed both in my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the law and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.
I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, political beliefs, aspirations, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.
I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of police service. I will never engage in acts of corruption or bribery, nor will I condone such acts by other police officers. I will cooperate with all legally authorized agencies and their representatives in the pursuit of justice.
I know that I alone am responsible for my own standard of professional performance and will take every reasonable opportunity to enhance and improve my level of knowledge and competence.
I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession… law enforcement.