The Furman University Department of Music is recognized as one of the highest-rated and most comprehensive among national liberal arts colleges. We attract ambitious musicians from across the globe — those who wish to major in music as well as those who wish to major in another discipline but continue their music. A large percentage of our student body participates in music. Unique for a school of 2600 undergraduates, we seat a full all-undergrad symphony orchestra, chamber strings, a jazz ensemble and multiple jazz combos, three choirs, a symphonic concert band, a marching band, a paid pep band, fully staged lyric theatre with pit orchestra, multiple pipe organs, and we are progressing toward being an All-Steinway piano school. In this new era of physical distancing, we offer a multitude of chamber music ensembles, state-of-the-art video streaming, and interactive virtual classrooms. Learn more about our Furman Music family! We have a place for you!
Furman scholarship auditions are open to intended music majors and non-majors. Students who intend to major in music are required to audition even if they are not seeking scholarship consideration.
Ensemble membership and placement auditions are held at the beginning of the fall semester every year after a student has chosen to enroll at Furman.
Read more about our Auditions — criteria and dates.
For Audition Day logistics, contact one of our administrative staff members.
Questions? Interested in…. Joining an ensemble? Taking applied lessons? Majoring in music? Participating as a non-major? Ask us!
- Bands (Symphonic, Marching, Lessons) – Contact Dr. Samuels firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Furman Band web site!
- Choirs – Contact Dr. Gusukuma email@example.com or visit the Choirs page!
- Vocal Study – Contact Dr. Knox firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the voice web site!
- Classical Guitar – Contact Mr. Dingledine email@example.com
- Orchestral Strings – Contact Dr. Joiner firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our string page!
- Piano – Contact Dr. Parsons email@example.com
- Organ – Contact Dr. Tompkins firstname.lastname@example.org
- Composition / Theory – Contact Dr. Dobbs email@example.com
- Music Education – contact Dr. Samuels firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jazz – Contact Dr. Olson email@example.com or visit the Jazz Studies page!
Ready for University Admission details? Tell Us More to receive Admission information
Come and see all that is happening in Furman’s Department of Music. Explore visit options for prospective students and families. Attend events. Talk with a faculty member.
- Calendar of Events: Attend a live performance or watch a live stream event
- Read about and register for a Camp, Conference, or Special Event
Scholarships and Aid
Each year, a number of freshman applicants are selected to be Furman Music Scholarships recipients. The scholarship is renewable up to four years. Scholarship amounts and recipients are decided on the basis of students’ auditions. Though priority is given to students intending to major in music, intended non-majors are also eligible for a limited number of participation scholarships. Learn about the selection process.
View University Application Dates
To remind yourself of Furman’s application schedule, and to compare those dates to our music audition dates and to the dates from other institutions, this link will take you to the Admission calendar.
Non-majors are welcome in Furman Music ensembles, lessons and practice rooms. Non-majors are also welcome to attend an Audition Day in the spring semester of their senior year in high school to be considered for non-major music scholarships.
Submit your Admissions Application via the Common App. Then, from your personal Furman Status Checker page, register to attend an audition day.