Did you know that over 4,500 Furman alumni are currently working in a health-related field? Our programs, courses, and experiences prepare students to enter and influence health professions with a comprehensive understanding of real time challenges and focused solutions. As part of our commitment to The Furman Advantage, the IACH continually seeks to create experiences for students which will build confidence and help them prepare for life after Furman.
Established in 2016, the Upstate Medical Legal Partnership has connected Furman University, Prisma Health and South Carolina Legal Services in work to improve the health of people throughout the Upstate, especially those living in poverty. Students can participate as interns with the Medical Legal Partnership. On the medical side of the partnership, they meet with patients and their families to screen for health-harming legal problems, and on the legal side they draft complaints, investigate claims and observe in court. The work that interns observe and participate in is not only impactful to the MLP, but also in shaping students’ understanding of their own potential. The interns prepare for a world in which the definition of healthcare is rapidly expanding.
Learn more about the Upstate Medical Legal Partnership.
The Clinical Observation Program is a unique opportunity that allows students to observe physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, therapists and other healthcare providers in over 12 departments within the Prisma Health hospital system. Observation departments include emergency medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics, and more. The goal of this program is to allow students to better understand the challenges and opportunities that clinicians and patients face. Students complete a reflection journal each time they observe and meet regularly with IACH staff to discuss their experiences.
Each summer, the IACH funds student fellows in an array of community health internship and research opportunities.
Examples of previous fellowship opportunities include:
- Magdalene Clinic
- LiveWell Greenville
- Summer Neuroimaging Research Program, Prisma Health
- Medical Legal Partnership
- Summer Clinical Research Internship in Precision Medicine and Pharmacogenetics, VA Boston Healthcare System
- Summer Program for Undergraduate Research in Surgery, Prisma Health
- Prisma Health’s Center for Integrative Oncology and Survivorship
- University of Kentucky Spinal Cord Research Foundation
- South Carolina Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities
- Prisma Health Pre-Therapy/Accelerated Sports
Since 2016 the IACH has developed and collaborated on five MayX StudyAway Programs:
- The Emergency Department as a Microcosm of Society
- The Southern Border: A Tale of Two Communities
- Medical Legal Partnership: Poverty, Medicine and Law
- Health and Medicine in the Global Context
- Exploration and Medical Education in Orthopedic Surgery: Arthrex
The IACH hosts numerous student-focused events throughout the academic year, such as:
- Internship & Experience Showcase – Fall Semester
- Women in Healthcare Panel Discussion – Spring Semester
- Community Health Champions Speaker Series – Fall and Spring Semester
Prisma Health Internship | Mahmood Syed
Furman students have the opportunity to get real-world experience through unique partnerships. Mahmood Syed spent time at Prisma Health gathering valuable experience in healthcare.
“ "I fell into a network of faculty, staff and alumni who actually take the time to get to know you and your interests. They’re fighting for you, because they know you."
“ "For someone who wants to go to law school or medical school, you couldn’t ask for a better experience."
“ "The amount of creativity and persistence it takes to progress forward with research is both amazing and fascinating."