WHAT IS THE FURMAN ADVANTAGE?
A personalized, four-year pathway to graduation.
High-impact, engaged learning through research, internships and study away
A team of advisors and mentors to help you find your path
Centers and institutes focused on our most complex challenges
Year One: Explore and Discover
Year Two: Examine and Decide
Year Three: Connect and Refine
Year Four: Synthesize and Initiate
The Place For Bold Ideas
To Reflect on Our Calling
Intentional acts of self-discovery punctuate our students’ four years and lead them to reflect deeply on their strengths and interests. It’s this kind of work that makes them comfortable with who they are and how they aspire to improve the world. And it is that emphasis on reflection that powers The Furman Advantage and drives the change, growth and understanding that our students experience in their four years at Furman.
To cultivate world citizenship
Furman students’ engaged learning experiences translates powerfully into the skills they will need in graduate school of the workforce. That means they graduate ready to navigate a multicultural, ever-changing community and career landscape, where critical thinking, collaboration and the embrace of differences are valued.
Resilient and Adaptable
Comfortable outside their comfort zone, and thoughtful adapters to change. Furman students love a good challenge. But even better, they welcome a good failure. Their ability to bounce back stronger and wiser from a mistake is part of what makes them so successful in their careers and respected in their communities.
Aspirations and Results
The Furman Advantage: We know it works. This ground-breaking, measurable approach to teaching, learning and living combines classroom instruction with real-world experiences and self-discovery, to offer every student an unparalleled, individualized education. Employers recognize its value and benefit from our approach, because they know our students go beyond a college experience to engage in a personalized, integrated four-year pathway that prepares them for lives of purpose and impact.
A Furman education now includes courses that teach every student how to take full advantage of their experience.
Pathways, a defining element of The Furman Advantage, is a two-year advising program that students start in their first year to ease their transition to college and explore their individualized pathway. The program builds a strong foundation of academic, social and coping skills to strengthen student resilience and ensure success.
Partners in Progress
Together Furman’s institutes form a collective of expertise, extending a rich spectrum of immersive learning experiences and path-defining opportunities to students. The diversity of thought and specialization within this portfolio intersects with the liberal arts and sciences mission, allowing us to make progress toward a more equitable world on an array of fronts.
How do we know The Furman Advantage works? Along the way, we carefully track and assess our academic, advising and mentoring successes, in addition to the outcomes of our students.
In 2016, we partnered with Gallup to assess the impact of The Furman Advantage. The key finding: our approach is working. Furman alumni surpassed the national average in Gallup’s “Big Six” college experiences. The survey also found that Furman students are 3.4 times more likely to be engaged at work and 2.9 times more likely to be thriving in wellbeing. And that’s just where they start.
Read more about how we know The Furman Advantage is preparing our students to be innovators and contributors, community leaders and engaged citizens. And learn about The Duke Endowment’s $52.5 million support for The Furman Advantage.
“ ""To be honest, I never thought about graduate school before I came to Furman. It was like, college, done. But after college, I want to achieve more, which is something Furman and Dr. Harris gave me.”"
“ ""That’s what I love so much about the English major. It doesn’t matter what industry you’re in, those critical-thinking skills and being able to deep dive and analyze things, no matter what it is, are so important.""
“ ""When I got the Metropolitan Fellowship, that was the key, integral thing in helping me. The (Furman Metropolitan Fellowship) guys had lots of connections to a lot of different people and a lot of great companies.""
Addison’s four-year pathway
Addison Smith ’22
Majors: Spanish and Politics and International Affairs
When Addison Smith ’22 came to Furman for a tour of the campus, he “just fell in love with it,” he says. “I could feel the sense of community when we drove in the gates. I’ve felt that every day since I’ve been here.”
- Becomes an admissions ambassador, giving tours of campus to prospective students.
- Joins orientation staff to extend his leadership experience, named an orientation leader his sophomore, junior and senior years.
- First year, joins the two-year Shucker Institute for leadership development, serves as programs and events coordinator his junior year.
- Summer after first year, becomes the
first intern with Carly Fiorina Enterprises in Alexandria, Virginia, with financial support from the internship office.
- Joins The Riley Institute’s Advance Team, helping plan and organize the campus visits of high-level national speakers.
- Sophomore year was elected Student Government Association president of his class.
- Joins Heller Service Corps, a volunteer public service organization with more than 800 student members. Joins the leadership team in his sophomore year. His junior year, becomes director of programs. As a senior, becomes student director of the organization.
- The summer between sophomore and junior years, volunteers with the Greenville Hispanic Alliance, serving as a translator and helping migrants complete naturalization paperwork.
- Mentors and tutors Hispanic youth in Greenville.
- The same summer, is a research fellow investigating the effects of COVID-19 on immigration to the United States.
- Summer before senior year works at the lobbying firm McGuireWoods Consulting in Washington, D.C.
- Applying to law school and to teach English in Spain.
For a more in-depth understanding of the Furman Advantage, download the guide below!