Your health is our priority, even when our office isn’t open. That’s why we work with other departments on campus to protect students’ safety during mental health emergencies.
Signs of an Emergency Situation
- Thoughts, impulses, or stated intent to hurt oneself or others.
- Inability to function in normal activities or take care of personal safety.
- Prolonged or persistent thoughts and feelings that are overwhelming in intensity.
Whom to Call
- During business hours, call the Counseling Center at 864-294-3031.
- During weekends, holidays, and after hours, call the University Police at 864-294-2111 or (effective 1/18/2021) the Furman Counseling Center Crisis Line by calling 864-294-3031, press #3 (Anywhere/Anytime).
- The Greenville CrisisLine is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 864-271-8888.
- The Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call toll-free at 1.800.273.8255.
- Anyone can text with a trained counselor 24-7 at the Crisis Text Line, by texting “HOME” to 741741.
- For teens and young adults in crisis, The Jed Foundation offers a specialized texting support service through the Crisis Text Line. Text “START” to 741741.
- For students of color in crisis, The Steve Fund offers a specialized texting support service through the Crisis Text Line. Text “STEVE” to 741741.
- For students with eating-related concerns in crisis, the National Eating Disorders Association offers a specialized texting support service through the Crisis Text Line. Text “NEDA” to 741741.
- For LGBTQ students in crisis, the TREVOR Project offers a Lifeline (1-866-488-7386), a texting option (text “Start” to 678678), and a chat option (accessible by computer, at www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/). All options are available 24-7.
- The National Eating Disorders Association also offers a Helpline (800-931-2237), available Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. ET, and Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET.
- The Jed Foundation also offers a Helpline (800-273-8255).
- In life-threatening emergencies, call 911.