Confidentiality is an essential part of our relationship with you, and we’re committed to keeping your contact with the Counseling Center confidential. With few exceptions, no one can know you made an appointment, what was discussed in the session, or if you have plans to continue with counseling in the future. Protection of your private health information is not only our policy, but it is also mandated by federal and state law. To help us ensure confidentiality, our record-keeping system is completely separate from other systems on campus. No one outside the Counseling Center staff can access your records without your written permission.
Limits of Confidentiality
In most cases, we need your written and signed authorization before we can disclose any information to anyone outside the Counseling Center. There are a few rare, legally-mandated exceptions.
- If a Counseling Center professional staff member believes that you are likely to harm yourself or another person, he or she may have to take action to protect you or others by contacting senior administrators, parents, medical professionals or law enforcement officers.
- If a Counseling Center professional staff member learns that a child, elderly person or disabled person has been or may be subjected to abuse or neglect, then the clinician may have to report this abuse to the appropriate state agency.
- In rare instances involving court cases, a court may order the release of confidential information considered pertinent to the proceedings.
- If you are under the age of 18, your parents or legal guardians may have rights to counseling records.
Information Release Forms
You can give us permission to release your information by filling out one of the forms linked below.
- Let us exchange your information with another organization. Fill out our consent to exchange information form [PDF].
- Give us consent to release your information. Fill out our consent to release information form [PDF].
- Give another organization consent to release your information to us. Fill out our consent to release information to the counseling center form [PDF].