Work Related Issues

Plan To Retire

Notify your supervisor and Human Resources of your planned retirement date and submit your resignation via Workday.

Request retirement illustrations and information about income options from your retirement company.

Decide whether you want to begin your retirement income or delay until a later date. You will need to complete forms at least 60 days prior to your first check date to allow enough time for processing.

Decide if you will begin to draw social security income and elect Medicare. Social security estimates and information can be obtained by calling or visiting the local social security office at 110 Frederick Street, Suite A, Greenville, SC 29607 (864) 233-1116.

Decide if you will continue medical and life insurance coverages for you and your spouse. If you are under 65, you may continue with the same group medical coverage, but must pay the full premium. If you are 65 or over, your Medicare will pay first and your group medical insurance will pay the difference. The premium for this “Medicare supplement” is less than the full premium.

Plan To Leave the University

Submit your resignation via Workday.  It is common practice to give at least two weeks notice.

You will be asked to complete your exit interview in Workday.  If you also prefer to do an in-person exit interview, please reach out to Human Resources.

Employees must also return their keys, ID card, and credit cards along with other Furman property to Human Resources prior to the completion of their last day of employment.