How do I apply?

Students who are eligible for tuition assistance and are interested in applying for these benefits should contact the VA directly. You can find information about applying for tuition assistance on the VA website.  All applications for veteran benefits are submitted online.

How much money can I receive?

The amount of tuition and other assistance available to veterans varies depending on which benefit chapter the veteran (or his or her dependent) is eligible. Current payment rate tables are available on the VA website or check out the VA’s estimated benefits calculator.

What do I do once my application is processed by the VA?

Once your application has been approved by the VA, you will need to submit a copy of the following documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • DD-214 of the veteran or dependent
  • Copy of the VA application submitted

Copies of these documents can be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services located on-campus in ADM 102, via email at, or by fax at 864.294.3127. All information must be on file prior to certifying your Furman University enrollment.

How does Furman certify my enrollment?

Once the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and DD-214 is on file with us, we have everything we need from the student to begin certifying enrollment with the VA.

To use benefits, the student veteran or dependent must complete an e-certification request online every term.

Every term a student is eligible for benefits, we will submit student enrollment information via the VA-Once online tool on his or her behalf.  This includes certifying the number of credits a student has registered for and the “net tuition” for the term. Net tuition, for VA purposes, is a calculation of tuition for a term after any tuition-specific scholarships have been applied.  Tuition and students fees are combined for this calculation. Any changes in enrollment status, including change of major, for a student receiving VA benefits should be reported to Enrollment Services immediately.

How are VA payments made?

Benefit payments are made to Furman University or the student – depending on the chapter of eligibility. Non-tuition payments, such as housing allowances and living stipends, will always be made to the student. For more information about benefit eligibility, please visit the VA website or contact them by phone at 1-888-442-4551.

The Yellow Ribbon program

The Yellow Ribbon program is designed as a way to bridge the difference between what the VA pays in total tuition assistance and the cost of Furman. As a Yellow Ribbon school, Furman and the VA split a portion of the difference between the total cost of Furman’s tuition and the tuition benefit cap designated by the VA. Reference the VA website for updated tuition caps.

Tuition Assistance for Active Duty Military Personnel

Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits are available for active-duty servicemembers. These benefits are designated by the VA and requires a completed application available on the Department of Defense webpage. TA benefits provide aid to the student attending Furman, although do not cover tuition and fee amounts.  The amounts and procedures for applying for these benefits can differ depending on the branch of the military in which you are serving.

Have more questions?

If you have any questions about which benefit you are eligible for, or how these benefits can be applied to school tuition and fees, please contact the VA by phone 1-888-442-4551 or build your own user account on the VA website.

If you have any questions about your Furman enrollment certification, contact Enrollment Services or by phone at (864) 294-2030.  We’re always glad to help!