Clemens Angel Analyst Fellowship
Furman undergraduate students ONLY
Program applications will open Feb 5th
The Clemens Angel Analyst Fellowship, established in Spring 2022, is the first of its kind among national liberal arts and sciences colleges; the program equips students for successful careers in angel investing, venture capital, private equity, or capital raises for their startup venture.
This 10-week transformational experience (non-credit), designed for up to twenty-five students, will provide the skills, experience, and network to accelerate their learning in early-stage venture investment. Through facilitated discussions, exercises, case studies, guest speakers, and mentoring, Fellows will learn VentureSouth’s signature due diligence framework to drive investment decisions. Following the 10-week fellowship, two Fellows have had the opportunity to join the VentureSouth team as a paid Analyst intern.
Analysts will have the opportunity to apply learnings from the Fellowship to real-world startups that are currently fundraising from the VentureSouth Angel Network
- 10 – weeks
- Dates: September 18th, November 20th
- Meets each Wednesday from 3:00 – 4:30 PM with optional additional opportunities
- Angel investing and venture capital.
- How to conduct due diligence on a team, develop a business model, and a product.
- The financial and governance terms that matter in a term sheet.
- Startup valuation, venture math, and capitalization tables.
- What happens post investment and how to think about your investment portfolio strategy.
- Must be a Full-Time Furman student
- Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- Minimum GPA: 3.5+
- Fellows are required to possess a foundation of financial accounting terms, MS Excel modeling, and MS PowerPoint.
Typical Careers of Interest
- Business Analytics
- Investment Banking
- Venture Capital
Summer Business and Innovation Boot Camp
Both Furman non-Furman undergraduate students
2024 Applications are now open
- *Students who apply ‘Early Action’, before February 1st, will move directly to our second and final interview stage.
- Applications Close April 5th, 2023 at 11:59 PM
$7,500 *Furman Students receive 20% discount ($6,000)*
- *Need-based scholarships available*
*Cost includes, tuition, housing, meals and a number of high impact experiences*
June 10th – July 28th, 2024
- *week of July 4th given off*
3 weeks course curriculum, 4 weeks consulting
Monday – Friday | 8:55 AM – 2:30 PM
This application-based summer-long program equips students with the business fundamentals of innovation and entrepreneurship. The high-impact experience is designed for students who want to complement their degree with real world business and innovation experience while a variety of potential career paths.
During the first three weeks of the Summer Business and Innovation Bootcamp, students will learn the business, marketing and management fundamentals they will use to launch a mock-business. To conclude section of their curriculum based knowledge, students will partake in a mock-launch in which they will pitch to investors, analyze project data and see what it really means to be an entrepreneur and business owner.
For the second half of the program, our students will start with an 2 day emersion of consulting training before being put into groups and paired with one of four local growth-stage companies. Fundamentally, students accepted into this program will acquire early career-accelerating experiences that will distinguish them from their peers.
- Business fundamentals
- Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management, Leadership, and more
- Innovation and design thinking principles
- Mentoring and speaker series
- Early career accelerating strategies
- How to distinguish yourself from your peers and secure the most competitive internships
- Hands on consulting experience with local growth-stage companies
- Program can be counted towards Furman’s Pathways Required Engaged Learning Experiences
- Program is open to both Furman and Non-Furman college students.
- Minimum GPA: 2.0
Typical Careers of Interest
- Business Ownership
- Business Management
- Private Equity
Paladin Pitch Competition
Furman students ONLY
Applications Due: March 1st, 2024 by 11:59 PM
5+ weeks one:one training sessions with Hill Institute team and speech consultant
Paladin Pitch Competition: April 11th, 2o24 | 4:00 – 5:30 PM | Watkins Room, Trone
The Paladin Pitch Competition, established in 2020 is entering its 5th year here at Furman University. This exciting event showcases the innovative ideas of four student finalists who will pitch their new venture ideas to a panel of judges and a diverse audience of students, faculty, alumni, and community leaders. We have seen a vast variety of ventures grace the competition stage, from sustainable musical reeds, AI focused data analytic platforms to custom jewelry, our student ventures have it all!
Students compete to take home the $10,000 Johnny Flynn Paladin Pitch Award to support launching their entrepreneurial venture; second place will take home $2,000 while third receives $1,000. With a focus on creativity and entrepreneurship, the event helps fuel the translation of innovative ideas into action. It is a fantastic opportunity for students to gain valuable experience in presenting their ideas, networking, and building confidence in their entrepreneurial endeavors.
- If interested in competing in our Paladin Pitch Competition, we encourage you to enter one of our Mini Pitch Competitions, designed to help students practice pitching and establish their ideas on a smaller stage. Winner’s of our Mini Pitch Competitions receive $500 towards their big idea!
- Winning up to $10,000 in grants and resources
- Building a Successful Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Ideation and Design Thinking Principles
- Creating and Executing a Winning Business Model
- Capital Breakdown
- Developing a Pitch Deck
- Must be a full-time Furman student
- Must have an idea you are interested in pursuing
Typical Careers of Interest
- This competition is designed for students interested in pursuing their idea by pitching live for a chance to win cash, grants and resources towards their ventures.
"If you want to know more about what it takes to start your own business, venture capital, and entrepreneurship, then The Clemens Angel Analyst Fellowship is a great option for you!" -Anna Donnell '25 | Fellow '23
"The Summer Business and Innovation Boot Camp gave me the hands-on experience I needed to determine the next steps for my career as an entrepreneur." -Mazi Aarts '26 | Boot Camp '23
"Without the Paladin Pitch Competition, I wouldn't have advanced my entrepreneurial and public speaking skills or connected with mentors who are shaping my journey towards success in the startup world." -Ivan Agaakwah '25 | Paladin Pitch '23