Some students may have medical conditions that require special diets and/or special care through Dining Services. In order to ensure that each request is considered in a consistent and appropriate manner, students should follow the steps listed below.
- Complete the SOAR Student Application to request accommodations.
- Submit documentation.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you should not delay meeting with us out of concern for not having the right paperwork. We will discuss specific third-party documentation needs during the Welcome Meeting and steps you can take after the meeting. Our first priority is meeting with you, not reviewing the paperwork. Please email SOAR@furman.edu if you would like to schedule a meeting prior to submitting documentation.
Guidelines for Documentation
Students who wish to request medical exceptions to the meal plan should have their physician or treating professional submit a letter containing the following information:
- Diagnosis & date of onset
- Summary of procedures and laboratory results used to arrive at the diagnosis
- Explanation of why the regular Dining Services menu with self-selection is detrimental to the patient’s health
- Description of the special diet/ diets recommended (attach a copy of the diet to the letter, if possible)
- Recommendation regarding whether the student should receive guidance in how to select appropriate food for his/her diet
- Estimate of the length of time this diet is needed
The letter should be on letterhead, dated and signed by the physician.
All documentation should be uploaded to the SOAR Student Application or sent to:
Student Office for Accessibility Resources
3300 Poinsett Highway
Greenville, SC 29613
Once the Student Office for Accessibility Resources has received the SOAR Student Application and documentation, the information will be reviewed by SOAR personnel and a professional with expertise in the area of nutrition and dietary needs to determine if the request may be allowed. In some cases, the student may need to meet with dining hall staff to discuss allergies or special meal preparation.
SOAR will notify the student VIA E-MAIL regarding the decision about the request. If the request is approved, SOAR will notify the appropriate Furman staff members to make the necessary changes to the meal plan and if needed, provide reimbursement for meal plan fees already paid.