The Student Office for Accessibility Resources provides students with disabilities an equal opportunity to access Furman’s programs and facilities. We partner with the Housing and Residence Life Office, Health Services, Dining Services, and Counseling Services to provide reasonable accommodations for students with medical, physical, or psychological conditions.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, a person is considered to have a disability if (1) he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities (such as hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, performing manual tasks, walking, caring for oneself, learning, or concentrating); (2) has a record or history of having such an impairment; or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment.
- For additional information, visit the ADA website.
- Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 state that no “otherwise qualified” individuals, solely by reason of their disability, can be denied the benefits of, be excluded from participation in or be subjected to discrimination in any program or activity.
Our SOAR Students
About 20% of the entire student body is registered with the SOAR office. In addition, about one third of SOAR seniors graduate with honors.
Here are some quotes from students who have used SOAR:
- “Everyone in the SOAR office is always very friendly and helpful!”
- “SOAR really helped me understand myself and what needs to be done in the classroom in order for me to succeed. Everyone in there is really nice and helpful. Information is easily accessible and they have your best interest at hand when making decisions.”
- “Probably would’ve given up on school if it wasn’t for SOAR and everyone in it. School is incredibly difficult and agonizing for me and every bit of encouragement and assistance along the way helps.”
- “I have had a great experience with SOAR over the past three years and can’t think of any way to improve it! It has certainly been a lifesaver for me during my time at Furman.”
- “My experience with SOAR and all of the staff there has consistently been nothing short of incredible. Keep up the good work!”
- “Everyone is so sweet and never judgmental. Such a safe environment.”
- “I love going to SOAR. Compared to high school where I had to fight for accommodations you guys make it pretty easy and stress free. Thank you!!!”
- “Welcoming community of individuals who provide a comfortable place for students to receive assistance and accommodations.”
- “I have had a very positive experience with SOAR. I really appreciate the office’s willingness to help students in any way possible and make testing for students as easy as possible.”
- “I have had a very pleasant experience with SOAR and have even recommended it to friends both looking at Furman and friends who are in classes with me. It is a great resource and extremely accommodating. I love talking with the staff, too!”
- “SOAR has been a very encouraging source for me during my college career at Furman.”
- “My experience with SOAR has been great. It has given me a place to feel calm about tests. I am not the best test taker so having a safe space like SOAR helps me feel more comfortable while taking a test.”
- “The SOAR office has been great for me and has really made everything easy.”
- “SOAR never fails to make me feel relaxed and ready to take my exams! I always look forward to seeing the lovely ladies who make the office run! Thanks for all y’all do!”
- “The SOAR staff have been friendly, helpful, and a joy to be around. In the past, I would blank out from anxiety and not be able to pass tests in a classroom; having a safe, quiet place outside of the classroom to test has helped immensely.”
- “Compared to the disability department that I had in high school, SOAR is 1,000% better! Everybody that works there is so nice and understanding. SOAR was one of the reasons that I chose to come to Furman because of how accommodating everybody was.”
- “Very helpful and understanding. Great advocates. Nonjudgmental.”
- “SOAR is wonderful! Any questions or difficulties I’ve run into have ALWAYS been handled swiftly and with ease!”
- “It has been really good. Everyone is always extremely helpful or available if I have any questions or need help.”