Choosing Furman from Massachusetts

Last updated June 23, 2021

By: Andrew Daphnis

During my college search process, every single factor that goes into making a college decision confused me.  Are my grades good enough? Will I fit in? How can I figure out what I want to study?  Amongst the many different questions that I was asking myself, I wanted to make a decision on at least one before I started visiting and applying to colleges.  To narrow my search, I decided to only look at schools in the south. 

I knew that I wanted to move away from Massachusetts, so I set my sights on looking at schools far from home.   In my opinion, location is often overlooked yet a very important aspect to choosing a school.  Seeing the amazing downtown Greenville area sparked more of my interest in Furman. Knowing that Furman is close to Atlanta, Charlotte, and an easy drive to the coastal area of South Carolina also really showed the prime location that Furman is in. 

Since Furman is a small school, my main concern was that I would only be meeting people from South Carolina.  This was resolved when I arrived at Furman and met countless friends from out of state.  I found Furman by narrowing my search by geography.  Yet throughout the entire admissions process, Furman continued to answer the many other questions that I had.  It ended up being the perfect fit for me. 

I felt comfortable with my decision to come here from Massachusetts because everything that Furman offered allowed me to envision it as my new home.  I had no idea what I wanted to study. Furman allowed me to take my time and become a double major in Communications and Politics and International Affairs.  As a high schooler, I was able to see what I could become here and I have continued to develop as a young adult.