Admissions Blog Posts

Introducing Me: Asha Marie

Last updated September 22, 2020

By Web Admin

*cue that one Nick Jonas song from Camp Rock 2*

Some polaroids of me and my friend Kristin in Cleveland during easter weekend our Freshman year

Hey Prospective Dins!

I’m Asha Marie, a junior from right here in Greenville, SC studying a self-designed major in Advocacy and Justice with double minors in Poverty Studies and African American and Diaspora Cultures.

If there are any things I’d want you to know about me, it’s these: I care deeply about community and justice– once I graduate from Furman I plan to get my PhD in African American Studies, become a professor, run for local office, and work really hard to make my community a better place.

Me and my skateboard. Butterfly emoji for dramatic effect.

Honesty, vulnerability, and communication are my top personal values (I’m a 4w3 on the enneagram, if that makes any sense. Ha!), I have a massive love for Swamp Rabbit Cafe (and other local Greenville restaurants!), and I’m learning how to skateboard so I can grow my courage and self-trust (also to be a cool skater girl).

My dad and I picking up my beloved sandwich order from Swamp Rabbit Cafe the day I got home from India this Spring. I seriously craved this sandwich for MONTHS! So good!

I love Furman for a lot of reasons, and that’s a big part of why I decided to join the social media intern team this year, but really I’m here because when I was scoping out Furman I didn’t see students who I felt represented me and it was hard to picture myself at Furman until I actually got to step on campus and meet students (who would later become some of my best friends!)

Things are weird this year– I know some of you may be feeling like I did and you may not be able to make it to campus, but the weirdness just means we have the chance to be really creative and innovative with how we build community.

This semester I’ll be taking you along with me as I navigate a new Furman. I’ll be commuting from home by bike everyday (just wait for the unveiling of my calves of steel at the end of the semester) and I’m figuring out how to balance a new school experience (in-person, online, and hybrid classes), a healthy social life (from six feet away), and everything in between.

I’ve written on the blog before, so if you’re interested in reading about finding community at college or why you should take an alternative spring break, check out my pieces!

Catch you next week!

-Asha