Cyclone Focus is a program specifically targeting 8th grade boys who are determined to be at risk based on social and academic factors and will follow them through their senior year of high school. Through community advocates, students in this program will be provided mentors who will build their character and confidence and will allow them to realize their potential and develop into future leaders.
Mission: The mission of cyclone focus is to ensure students receive character building, exposure through advocates who will build their confidence allowing them to realize their talents and develop into future leaders.
- Target: 8th grade male students year one (12 students). This program would be continued at the high school
- Year 2: female students would be added as an additional group.
- Application process, recommendations, and/or self referral
- Criteria: single-parent homes, low academic performance, at-risk behaviors, self referral
- Sheriff’s Office
- Fire Department
- Local Greek Organizations
- Hazel Pitman
- 8 Sessions in 4 weeks
- Character sessions after school during the week would focus on career goal setting. The exposure field trips will take place on Saturday and include: Skydive Carolina, Horse Farm, Fishing, Panther Stadium Tour, College Tour of Winthrop and York Tech and expose to careers in medicine, military, and banking.