From understanding the balance between academics and Fraternity and Sorority Life to deciphering the Greek alphabet, there’s a lot for you to digest as your student pursues membership in a fraternity or sorority. Need some advice? We have collected a variety of critical information and tips to help you understand Fraternity and Sorority Life at Furman. If you have any questions about our program, feel free to contact us. Our office works hard to keep you informed and educate you on fraternity and sorority life should your student join an organization.
Supporting Your Student
If your student is thinking about joining a fraternity or sorority and participating in the recruitment process, there are a number of things you can do to support their decision:
- Remember this is your student’s choice and they should choose the chapter that they feel is right for them. Be supportive regardless of legacies or family history.
- Know the name and phone number of the chapter president, new member educator, big brother or big sister, chapter advisor, and resident advisor.
- Ask for details about the financial aspects of membership. Each chapter governs its finances individually.
- Initiation is an important time for the new members. Be supportive and respectful of this time for your student. Our new member programs are limited to six weeks of activities and learning. Initiation dates should be made public to new members.
- Attend Family Weekend and visit the fraternity and sorority tailgates on Saturday before the football game.
- Encourage your student to take advantage of Furman’s numerous resources and opportunities outside of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Opportunities to Learn More
Student Involvement will host webinars for all parents and family members interested in learning more about the Furman FSL community and joining process. RSVP is not required – webinars can be accessed using the Zoom links below.
Panhellenic Council (FPC) Sorority Recruitment Webinar – Friday, December 15 at 6-7pm; Access using this link: https://furman.zoom.us/j/91797682678
Interfraternity Council (IFC) Fraternity Recruitment Webinar – Sunday, December 17 at 3-4pm; Access using this link: https://furman.zoom.us/j/99778091784
*Parents interested in learning more about the joining process for Furman’s two NPHC chapters can email Caro Douglas, Assistant Director of Student Involvement, at email@example.com