Admissions Blog Posts

My Favorite Places near Furman

Last updated October 24, 2022

By

If you are a nature enthusiast like me, it’s important that you choose a college that is surrounded by nature! Here are some of my favorite places that I go to around Furman…

• Swamp Rabbit Trail
    • The Swamp Rabbit Trail is a 22-mile greenway that walkers and bikers use to connect Travelers Rest with the City of Greenville, South Carolina. It goes right by Furman, and during the summer, I biked to the Swamp Rabbit Cafe with my friends! 

• Paris Mountain State Park 
    • Paris Mountain State Park is about 20 minutes away from campus and has easy hiking trails for locals to enjoy. Many Furman professors bike to Paris Mountain and it is a popular place among Furman students as well. 

• Pretty Place Chapel
    • Pretty Place Chapel is roughly an hour away from campus, and the sunrises at the chapel are the most stunning sunrises I’ve ever witnessed! 

• Bald Rock Heritage Preserve
    • Bald Rock is about 35 minutes away from campus. It is one of the most popular places for Furman students to watch the sunrise. I recently went to Bald Rock with the Cothran Center for Vocational Reflection for a weekend retreat! 

• Sky Top Orchard
    • Sky Top is about 45 minutes away from campus, and it is the best place to go apple picking! They sell apple cider, mouthwatering cider donuts, and other tasty treats! 

• Craggy Pinnacle Hike 
    • Craggy Gardens is located in Asheville, a little over 1 hour away. It is a fairly short hike, taking about 30 minutes roundtrip, but the sunrise and sunset view from the pinnacle is absolutely worth the drive!

• Pisgah National Forest
    • Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Waterfall are both located in the Pisgah National Forest, about 1.5 hours away from Furman. The waterfalls are the perfect place to go swimming in the summer!

These are all the places that I enjoyed exploring with my friends, and I hope you get to too! 

With love,

Puspanjali Gurung