Admissions Blog Posts

A Typical Day in the Life of a Furman Student

Last updated June 9, 2021

By Web Admin

By: Jada Rodgers

One question that I am almost always asked on tours is “what does a typical day look like for a Furman student?” While this answer generally varies from student to student, and tends to change each semester, I’ve come up with an answer based on my schedule from last semester. For a typical weekday, my day consists of:

9:00am-3:00pm

In the morning, I usually wake up about 30 minutes before my class starts, and eat some fruit or cereal for breakfast before I get ready for the day. For my in-person classes, I’ll put some jeans and a nice shirt on, but for my online classes I just put some sweats on and head down to a study lounge before logging onto Zoom. I am not a morning person, so most of my classes don’t start until 10:00am and they usually end around 3:00pm. In between classes, I will usually grab lunch from Sushi with Gusto (the best place on campus) or I’ll go to the library where I grab a vanilla latte from The Library Cafe and do some work outside at one of the tables.

3:00pm-4:30pm

This is my designated nap time! I know some people will say that 1.5 hours is way too long of a nap, but I love to sleep and I need daily naps in order to function. Occasionally, I will also use this time to watch some TV and just relax before I have a meeting for an organization or club.

3:00pm-4:30pm

4:30pm-7:00pm

I am involved in a lot of different organizations and clubs on campus, and this time is usually when I would have a meeting or event for one of those organizations. Some that I am currently involved in are the Shucker Leader Institute, Furman’s Chapter of NAACP, the Cothran Center, Greek Life, Admission/Mosaic Ambassadors, and First Generation Student Alliance. I know this sounds time consuming, but all of these meetings are spread out on different days or only meet bi-weekly/monthly.

7:00pm-sleepy time

After my meetings, I usually grab dinner from Bread and Bowl before going to one of the study lounges in Clark Murphy Housing Complex, to study or do homework. There are lots of individual and group study spaces available in the bottom lounge, so I am usually in a group study lounge with my friends. Whenever we wrap up with our work, we usually head to someone’s room to just hang out and talk before going to bed. Since I am more of a night owl, I usually don’t go to bed until around 11:00pm!

For a typical Saturday:

No weekend is ever the same for me, but I usually sleep in extra late and don’t wake up until 11:00am or 12 pm. Once me and my friends are all up, we’ll usually get together and grab some Starbucks before heading over to Haywood Mall to do a little shopping. Afterwards, we’ll grab lunch at somewhere casual like Chipotle or McAlister’s Deli before heading back to campus for a quick nap (my friends love to sleep just as much as I do!). When we all wake up, we’ll usually just go on a little drive around town before grabbing dinner at somewhere nice like Tupelo Honey. While dining services are open on the weekends, my friends and I love to eat out just for something fun and different. After dinner, we’ll typically head over to North Village Apartments to hang out with some of our upperclassmen friends.

As I said at the beginning, everyone’s days are different here and schedules tend to change quite a bit, so don’t be surprised if you talk to another student and their schedule is completely different from mine. I hope this helped you gain some more insight into the day-to-day life here at Furman!