What Makes Spring Semester So Great?

By Colin Klaff

The spring semester is hands down my favorite term each year. Don’t get me wrong, the fall semester, the winter season, and the entire first half of the year is always incredible, but there just seems to be a new kind of energy that emerges every spring. I feel that we owe this to many different reasons.

The first reason being the return of warm weather. I love the winter, but one of the things I always look forward to is warm weather. Greenville is such a beautiful place when the weather is warm and Furman’s campus is always at its peak beauty on warm, sunny days. The students love to spend time outside when its warm and I always feel the sense of community is at an all time high during the spring.

Spring semester always brings more opportunity for students looking to get involved on campus. People join clubs that spend lots of time outdoors, thre are plenty of volunteering opportunities, and Greek life recruitment starts. Because of these opportunities and the incoming warm weather, I feel like the campus and its community feels much closer to each other.

With the weather changing and the new people you can meet through the opportunities to get involved, its the perfect semester to do fun things on campus and around Greenville. Walking around the lake, playing beach volleyball, basketball, spike-ball, and sun bathing are a few of the great things students like to do when the weather gets warmer. There is also hiking at Paris Mountain, site seeing at Bald Rock, enjoying a picnic in Reedy Fall’s Park, and walking around downtown. Downtown always feels extra special to me when its sunny and warm- its instantly a place where I want to spend a spring day.

There is so much to look forward to each Spring and I can’t wait for the weather to get warmer. I love the winter and cold weather a lot, in fact it snowed the other night here and it was awesome, but I am ready for my favorite half of the school year to hit its stride.

Recent Posts

Allow the Unexpected

Coming into Furman, I never anticipated my life to involve being on stage. I always got a lot of anxiety from being in front of large groups of people. However, in my time at Furman...

Continue Reading >

The Greenbelt Community: Furman’s Beautiful Alternative Housing

Furman has taken leaps and bounds towards creating a more sustainable campus-our Shi Institute is a net positive building, after all. The most fun part about this is the Greenbelt Community Engaged Living program. Along...

Continue Reading >

A Glimpse into Summer Orientation

With a few sessions of Summer Orientation completed, today, I want to give you guys a glimpse into what a day of “Summer O” is like for our incoming freshmen! The day starts with O-Staff...

Continue Reading >