Hidden Campus Resources

One of the many reasons that I simply adore Furman University is that even though it is considered a smaller university, we have the resources of any large university or state school. From career planning, to academic advising, to study away, there are SO many resources offered at Furman that some students may accidentally overlook! Even though I’m a junior, I’m still learning about some awesome campus resources! Lucky for you, I’m here to share all of my knowledge I’ve accumulated over the past three years so you’ll be able to hit the ground running. 

I love the different networking events the Malone center hosts! This photo was from before Covid-19, of course!
  • Malone Center for Career Engagement: Y’all. The Malone Center is a LIFESAVER. Located in Trone, this resource is perfect for those students looking for career support, which looks very different depending on the student! For me, I first set up a meeting with the Malone Center my sophomore year as I was applying to internships abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland. The wonderful staff members are so well versed in anything and everything resumes, cover letters, internship and job opportunities, interview skills, and SO much more. Europeans tend to construct resumes and cover letters differently than we do in America, so I was so grateful to have a trustworthy staff member sit down with me and work through it! Highly suggest you stop in the Malone center- even if you have no clue what you want to do with your life, they will be able to help you take different personality tests and career oriented tests to help you begin your professional journey! Check out the link to learn more: https://www.furman.edu/career-services/
  • Center for Academic Success: This is a resource that many students often will overlook, but I really suggest giving it a shot! Located in the bottom of the library, the Center for Academic Success offers a variety of different services to help you navigate through college! The peer assisted learning program is for students who may need or want some extra guidance in a class they’re taking. Furman offers free tutoring where students will be matched with peers who have either taken the class previously, knows the professor and their teaching style well, or is just very well versed in any given subject. I know that sometimes it can be hard to ask for help, but I can tell you from personal experience it really makes a world of difference! The writing center is also a great component of the Center for Academic Success. Similar to tutoring, peers are available in the writing center to help you work through the writing process- from brainstorming, to grammar, to sentence structure, to just getting your thoughts on the page. Check out the link for more info! https://www.furman.edu/academics/center-academic-success/
The Center for Academic Success is located in the Lib! Make sure to grab a bagel sandwich and chai tea latte on your way out!
  • Student Office for Accessibility Resources (SOAR): According to the Furman University website, “The Student Office for Accessibility Resources provides students with disabilities an equal opportunity to access Furman’s programs and facilities.” Many individuals become well acquainted with SOAR, as it is an extremely helpful resource that allows all students to not only survive, but thrive here at Furman. Some examples of services they offer include academic accommodations, housing accommodations, meal plan accommodations, and parking / transportation accommodations! All of the staff members at SOAR are incredibly kind, helpful, and dedicated to making sure all students have the best college experience possible! Check out the link to learn more: https://www.furman.edu/accessibility/
SOAR is located right next to Clark Murphy housing!

These are just a few examples of resources that students are encouraged to utilize throughout (and even after) their time at Furman. College truly is what you make it, and when you are intentional about seeking out resources, I promise you you will see positive results. 

I hope y’all are hanging in there. Life is a little bit wacky right now, but remember that you are doing the best you can and that in itself is enough. If you ever want to chat, you know where to find me. Stay safe, healthy, and Roll Dins! 

Have a happy week, 

Alex

Recent Posts

Allow the Unexpected

Coming into Furman, I never anticipated my life to involve being on stage. I always got a lot of anxiety from being in front of large groups of people. However, in my time at Furman...

Continue Reading >

The Greenbelt Community: Furman’s Beautiful Alternative Housing

Furman has taken leaps and bounds towards creating a more sustainable campus-our Shi Institute is a net positive building, after all. The most fun part about this is the Greenbelt Community Engaged Living program. Along...

Continue Reading >

A Glimpse into Summer Orientation

With a few sessions of Summer Orientation completed, today, I want to give you guys a glimpse into what a day of “Summer O” is like for our incoming freshmen! The day starts with O-Staff...

Continue Reading >