It’s A Small School After All: The Pros of a Small School With a Big Heart

Last updated November 13, 2019

Although there were a million things I was clueless about throughout my college application process, the one thing I was sure about starting my junior year of high school was that I wanted to go to a small liberal arts college somewhere out of the blistering desert that is Orlando, Florida. Don’t get me wrong I ADORE my home, but it was time for me to step out of my comfort zone and live somewhere with all four seasons. When I toured Furman the summer before my senior year, I knew I had found my place and haven’t looked back since. Although Furman is just around 2,800 students, the heart found on our campus is unmatched by anywhere else I have ever been. There are so many wonderful things about Furman (and small schools in general), but I narrowed it down to my top three favorite things: 

1. You see people you recognize and/or know! Everywhere !! 

Flashback to the first day of freshman year. I was in the dining hall and spilled my cereal EVERYWHERE! A very kind student came over, helped me clean it all up, told me it happened to everyone, and I would be okay. I was mortified, but she made me feel better. Jump forward to my first day of sophomore year, and that nice girl that helped me turned into one of my best friends. I saw her every morning in the DH and we started to get breakfast together! Eventually after a few weeks you’ll settle into a routine for the year and the people you pass in the hallways, live next-door to, and sit next to in class will most likely become new acquaintances and friends.  

2. The different individualized pathways 

One thing that is absolutely unbeatable about going to a small school is that the opportunities offered are typically very plentiful and catered to your individual and personal experience. Every person on Furman campus cares so much about their fellow Dins, and you can feel that love and intentionality in all aspects of campus life. I love this about our school and the Furman Advantage– I feel like I always have someone in my corner to cheer me on. For example, one day my professor came up to me and said, “Hey Alex! I saw this internship application and thought you’d be perfect for it. You should apply!” In that moment I realized I am right where I need to be to maximize my potential and success in the field I am hoping to go into. 

3.  You are never, EVER “just a number” 

I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes I’m not great with names. However, one of the first things I noticed about Furman was how intentional the faculty, staff, and other peers were with learning my name and using it frequently. This alone made me feel so welcome and wanted here at Furman, which is a feeling every new student should experience. Walking through the halls, swiping in at the DH, or passing the janitorial staff when heading to my dorm quickly turned into a conversation that made me feel important and special. The Furman community makes sure that you feel loved, cared about, and most importantly that you feel a strong sense of belonging here. 

Furman is such a special place and I feel absolutely so lucky to wake up every single day and call this place home.

If you have any questions or concerns about Furman please reach out to me! My insta is @alexandra_rick ! And as always, Roll Dins!

Have a happy week!

Alex