12th annual Dick and Tunky Riley WhatWorksSC Award Celebration
Tuesday, October 25, 2022
Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center
Tickets: $25 a seat, $200 for table of eight. Lunch included.
Join the Riley Institute in celebrating three exceptional programs making a positive impact on South Carolina public education during the 12th annual WhatWorksSC Award Celebration.
A committee of corporate leaders and education experts selected these programs from a large pool of entries based on effectiveness as evidenced by their research, resource allocation, and sustainability. The winner — who will be announced by former U.S. Secretary of Education and former S.C. Governor Dick Riley — will be awarded a $10,000 cash prize, and the two finalists will receive $1,000 each.
2022 WhatWorksSC Award Finalists
- Clemson University Teacher Residency Program prepares individuals enrolled in Clemson’s bachelor’s-to-master’s teaching program with strong content knowledge, a full year of student teaching, and mentorship by high-quality, experienced educators with the aims of increasing teacher retention and preparedness as well as PK-12 student achievement.
- Communities In Schools of South Carolina surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Using the Integrated Student Supports model, the program identifies and addresses risk and protective factors that influence a child’s academic success and can impact their ability to remain in school. School-based site coordinators partner with the school and community to provide students with the support they need to succeed inside and outside the classroom, helping them graduate, create healthier relationships, and find success in life.
- The Upstate Schools Consortium offers professional development opportunities throughout the school year related to a wide range of topics, from literacy and math to college and career readiness to grading, for K-12 educators, district office personnel, and future educators on Furman’s campus and online.
About the Keynote Speaker
Founder, Center for Education Market Dynamics
After a long career at McGraw-Hill Education that included roles in sales, marketing, education policy and general management, Jeff formed EdSolutions in 2015 as a vehicle for focusing education innovation, investment and philanthropy on underserved students, scaling proven innovations to reach the students who will benefit most from them. Today, EdSolutions help organizations to find impact through the markets for education goods and services primarily via: Ecosystem Maps, Target Product Profiles, Go-to Market Strategies and other customized consulting services.
He is the founder of the Center for Education Market Dynamics, currently in incubation with Cambiar Education with support from major philanthropic organizations, slated to become a trusted source of market intelligence for the education sector.
Jeff holds a BA in government from Harvard University.
The Riley Institute would like to thank the following WhatWorksSC 2022 sponsors for their generous support:
- Riley Pope & Laney, LLC
- South Carolina Afterschool Alliance
- South Carolina Association of School Administrators
- The South Carolina Education Association
- South Carolina School Boards Association
The Institute would also like to extend its gratitude to South Carolina ETV for producing the videos featuring our finalists and to the South Carolina Education Oversight Committee for its material help. Event audiovisuals provided by AV Connections.