Adjunct Professor, Earth and Environmental Sciences; Leadership Development Program Fellow; Undergraduate Evening Studies Faculty
Dr. Quinn holds a Ph.D. in Leadership Studies from the University of Nebraska- Lincoln. Her specific teaching and research interests revolve around sustainability and environmental leadership. Currently, Courtney serves as the Faculty Leadership Development Coordinator. She is also a certified Clifton Strengths Coach. Courtney has taught classes for Sustainability Science in the Earth and Environmental Studies at Furman since 2014. She also teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on leadership for her alma mater. She has published in the areas of sustainability science, human dimensions of natural resources, and higher education pedagogy, specifically in regards to the development of critical thinking in college students.
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- M.S., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- B.A., Drake University
Dr. Quinn's research interests include; leadership (environmental, agricultural, sustainability, natural resources), food and farming issues, place attachment, and critical thinking development.
- Quinn, C., Lippert, C.* and McLean, S.*, 2019. A Place‐Based Investigation of the United Nations SDGs: Case Report on a Course Assignment for Undergraduate Sustainability Science Majors. Sustainability: The Journal of Record, 12(2), pp.124-128.
- Allen, K.E., Quinn, C.E., English, C.* and Quinn, J.E., 2018. Relational values in agroecosystem governance. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. 35, pp.108-115 doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2018.10.026
- Wheeler, H.* and Quinn, C., 2017. Can Facebook Aid Sustainability? An Investigation of Empathy Expression within the Humans of New York Blog. Sustainability, 9(6), pp.1005.
- Quinn, C.E. and Quinn, J.E., 2016. Building Resilience: Modeling Resilience Concepts Using Legos. In Learner-Centered Teaching Activities for Environmental and Sustainability Studies, pp. 51-56. Springer, Cham.
- Quinn, C.E., Quinn, J.E. and Halfacre, A.C., 2015. Digging deeper: a case study of farmer conceptualization of ecosystem services in the American South. Environmental Management, 56(4), pp.802-813.
- Quinn, C.E. and Halfacre, A.C., 2014. Place matters: an investigation of farmers' attachment to their land. Human Ecology Review, pp.117-132.
- Quinn, C. and Matkin, G., 2013. Teaching Sustainability. Canadian Journal of University Continuing Education, 39(1).
- Burbach, M.E., Matkin, G.S., Quinn, C.E., and Searle, T. 2012. The impact of preparing agriculture faculty to influence student critical thinking disposition. Journal of Agricultural Education, 53(2).
- Quinn, C., Harding, H., and Matkin, G. 2011. Team-based learning for agricultural ethics. North American Colleges & Teachers of Agriculture Journal. 55(4), 91-96.
- Quinn, C. and G. Matkin. 2011. Teaching Sustainability Leadership. In (Eds.) K. Bartels and K. Parker Teaching Sustainability and Teaching Sustainably. Stylus Publishing.
- Tang, Z., Brody, S.D., Li, R., Quinn, C., and Zhao, N. 2011. Examining locally-driven climate change policy efforts in three pacific states. Ocean & Coastal Management, 54: 415-426.
- Tang, Z., Wei, T., Quinn, C., Zhao, N., 2011. Surveying Local Planning Directors’ Actions for Climate Change. International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, 4(1): 81-103.
- Flores, K., Matkin, G., Burbach, M., Quinn, C., and Harding, H. 2011. Deficient critical thinking skills among college graduates: Implications for leadership. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 44(2)212-230.
- Quinn, C. and Burbach, M. 2010. A test of personal characteristics that influence farmer’s conservation practices. Great Plains Research, 20(2): 193-204.
- Tang, Z., Brody, S.D., Quinn, C., Chang, L., and Wei, T. 2010. Moving from agenda to action: Evaluating local climate change action plans. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 53(1): 41-62.
- Quinn, C., Burbach, M., Matkin, G., and Flores, K. 2009. Critical thinking for natural resource, agricultural, and environmental ethics education. Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, 38: 221–227.
- Quinn, C. and Quinn, J.E. 2009. The great Patagonia land grab: A case study on international biodiversity, conservation and environmental politics. The National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Quinn, C. and Burbach, M. 2008. Personal characteristics preceding pro-environmental behaviors that improve surface water quality. Great Plains Research, 18(1):103-114.
- Shulman S., Katz, J., Quinn, C., and Srivastava, P. 2005. Empowering environmentally-burdened communities in the US: A primer on the emerging role for information technology. Local Environment, 10:5 501–512.