September 23, 2021
Furman Focused update
Dear Campus Community,
Five weeks into the semester and our current approach to managing COVID-19 seems to be working, as we continue to see declining positive cases on campus. Please continue to be vigilant, especially as we prepare for Family Weekend, which starts tomorrow.
There was 1 positive student case reported this past week by the Earle Student Health Center (ESHC) and 2 positive employee cases reported by Human Resources. Thank you for your continued diligence in keeping our community healthy and safe.
The Furman Focused Dashboard was updated today and will be updated each Monday and Thursday.
Family Weekend COVID protocols
- Masking is required for all visitors in campus housing. Per the Housing & Residence Life Guest Policy, resident students are expected to agree on who is allowed in their shared housing space.
- Masking is required at all other indoor locations (except for the Dining Hall) for all individuals from Friday at 5 p.m. through Sunday at 5 p.m.
- The Dining Hall will remain open only to students, faculty and staff.
- Families may not attend classes with their students. However, families may enter academic buildings with their students from Friday at 5 p.m. through Sunday at 5 p.m. Masking is required.
New clear bag policy at Paladin Stadium
To provide a safer environment and more expedited entry for fans, Furman Athletics is implementing a clear bag policy in Paladin Stadium that limits the size and type of bags that may be brought into the venue. Click here for more information.
Flu shots for students
Students are encouraged to get a flu shot at the Earle Student Health Center. Please call 864-522-2000 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. COVID-19 and flu symptoms are similar, so the ESHC will test for both when students are symptomatic.
Thank you to our professors for managing student absences and providing flexibility and accommodation. Faculty, as you consider your policies for any missed work and class absences, please remember that, because of our high campus vaccination rates, students who are required to isolate could very likely be vaccinated for COVID-19.
As always, students are responsible for managing communication with their professors about any absence, whether COVID-19 related or not. Faculty and students may contact the Academic Deans Office with any specific questions.
Upcoming campus activities
- Thursday, Sept. 23, 6 p.m. – Rescheduled! FUSAB’s Low Country Boil, Milford Mall.
- Friday, Sept. 24, 7 p.m. – Women’s Soccer v. Wofford. Free admission with Furman ID.
- Friday, Sept. 24, 8:30 p.m. – Improvable Cause Improv Show, Burgiss Theater.
- Sept. 24-26, all day – Women’s Golf tournament. Free admission with Furman ID.
- Saturday, Sept. 25, 1 p.m. – Rugby v. Appalachian State. Free admission with Furman ID.
- Saturday, Sept. 25, 2 p.m. – Football v. Mercer. Free admission with Furman ID. Families are not permitted inside the student tailgating area.
- Saturday, Sept. 25, 7 p.m. – Men’s Soccer v. Belmont. Free admission with Furman ID.
- Saturday, Sept. 25, 8 p.m. – Phi Mu Alpha’s Annual Family Weekend Talent Show, McAlister Auditorium. Tickets are $5 in advance, $10 at the door.
- Sept. 24-26 – Family Weekend. Review events and activities here.
We are closely monitoring the number of positive cases in our campus community to determine the appropriateness of any adjustments or contingencies. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a fun, safe weekend!
The COVID Response Committee