July 1, 2021
Faculty and staff: Masking reminder, August 1 vaccination deadline
Dear Faculty and Staff,
We are almost three weeks into our modified masking and distancing protocols for vaccinated individuals. Even with a low number of students, faculty and staff on campus, we have new data and critical reminders to share.
By August 1, all faculty and staff must EITHER submit a copy of their completed COVID-19 vaccination card to email@example.com OR submit a signed acknowledgement of Furman’s expectations for unvaccinated employees. As a reminder, this information will not be shared or stored as part of your personnel record.
For the first time since the close of the spring semester, seven students have tested positive for COVID-19 and are currently in isolation. All were symptomatic. An additional nine students and two staff members are quarantining off campus. These cases were related.
So far, we have not had any cases of fully vaccinated individuals test positive or exhibit symptoms for COVID-19. As a reminder, individuals who are fully vaccinated are not required to quarantine as a result of an exposure.
Please carefully read the following reminders.
- Masking and distancing is still required for individuals who have not submitted documentation of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to the Earle Student Health Center(students) or Human Resources (faculty and staff). Individuals must be two weeks past their final dose to be considered fully vaccinated.
- Individuals who are not fully vaccinated should continue to wear a mask and maintain physical distancing at all times indoors, and wear a mask outdoors if physical distancing is not possible. The only exceptions are for:
- Faculty and staff alone in their assigned office.
- Students inside their assigned housing space. Masking is still required for all unvaccinated students when in common areas, hallways, stairwells and bathrooms in the residence halls.
- Individuals should still not eat in classrooms, labs or academic buildings (regardless of vaccination status), except for faculty and staff in their assigned office areas – see Guidance on Eating & Drinking Off Campus.
We continue to strongly urge those faculty and staff who have not yet received the COVID-19 vaccination to do so as soon as possible. Find a vaccination location by visiting vaxlocator.dhec.sc.gov. A high level of vaccinations across our entire campus community will ensure our ability to return to normal operations for the fall semester. Vaccination rates among Furman community members are updated weekly and are available on Furman’s COVID Dashboard.
The COVID Response Committee