We have several events throughout the year.
- Tuesday Track Workouts
- Corporate Shield 5K
- Annual Running & Learning Retreat
- Lecture Series
Tuesday Track Workouts
Below is the tentative schedule for April and May 2021 Tuesday track workouts. Track repeats are run each Tuesday at the Furman University Track. Warm-up begins at the PAC at 12:20pm with repeats typically performed on the track beginning at approximately 12:40pm. For those that do not have access to a track, a flat section of road that avoids 90 degree turns or a public trail can work as a suitable substitute for track-type workouts.
All workouts include 5 min. of dynamic drills prior to your run; even before you start your warm-up. A description of the 5 dynamic drills is provided on page 224-226 of Run Less Run Faster*. After a 10 to 20 min. warm-up of easy jogging, include four repeats of 100 meters of drills and strides. After doing approximately 10 meters of high knee lifts, gradually accelerate for 80 meters until you reach approximately 90% of full speed and then decelerate over the final 10 meters. Recover for 30 seconds or less, then repeat in the opposite direction. Repeat the same sequence substituting butt kicks for high knee lifts. A description of these two drills is provided on pages 65 in Run Less, Run Faster*.
Unless specified, use the FIRST Key Run #1 target times for these workouts (see Run Less, Run Faster* pages 80-84).
These workouts are different than those in Run Less, Run Faster*, you can complete the workouts listed in the book or feel free to try these workouts. The recovery interval (RI), which is indicated in parentheses, may be a specified time interval or a distance that you walk/jog.
After your repeat workout on the track, a cool down is important. Jog slowly for 10-15 minutes.
6, April 1000m (90 sec. RI), 5 x 600m (200m RI; 90 sec. after 5th 600m repeat), 1000
13, April 400m (1 min RI), 1600m (2min. RI); 1000m (90sec. RI), 600m (60sec. RI), 800m (90sec. RI), 400m
20, April 800m (200m walk/jog RI), 1600m (400m RI), 2 x (1K [200m RI]), 600m
27, April 2 x 800m (200m jog RI); 3 x 400m (100m walk/jog RI); 2 x 800m (200m jog RI); 400m
4, May 1000m (90sec RI), 2000m (2 min RI), 3 x 600m (90sec. RI)
11, May 3 x [4 x 400m, (60sec RI)]; 400m easy jog between sets of 4 repeats
18, May 400m (90 sec. RI); 1600m (90 sec. RI); 400m (90 sec. RI); 1200m (90 sec. RI); 400m (90 sec. RI);
800m (60 sec. RI); 400m
25, May 3 x [1000m (90sec. RI); 600m (2min. RI)]
* The 3rd edition of Run Less, Run Faster (2021) by Bill Pierce and Scott Murr.
Corporate Shield 5K
The Greenville Track Club Corporate Shield program was established by the track Club in 79′ to promote running & competition among area companies & organizations. The 8-race schedule allows teams to earn points for both placement & participation in four (4) categories: Open, female, masters and grandmasters. If your team/group wants more info, or you have questions on this program, please email Greenville Track Club.
- 2016 Furman 5K Results
- 2015 Furman 5K Results
- 2014 Furman 5K Results
- 2013 Furman 5K Results
- 2012 Furman 5K Results
- 2010 Furman 5K Results
- 2009 Furman 5K Results
- 2008 Furman 5K Results
- 2007 Furman 5K Results
- 2006 Furman 5K Results
- 2005 Furman 5K Results
- 2004 Furman 5K Results
- 2003 Furman 5K Results
- 2002 Furman 5K Results
- 5K Race 2015 Participant List.pdf
Adult Running Retreats
We are unable to have any 2021 retreats due to the ongoing pandemic. You may email email@example.com to be placed on an early notification list in the event we are able to plan future retreats.
Adult Running Retreat
- No events are currently scheduled. -
FIRST® offers presentations on a variety of topics during the year. Presentations are on topics related to running, endurance performance, and healthy and active living. Presentations are free and open to the public (unless otherwise noted).
Past FIRST® lectures
- Training Cycles for Better Running Performance in 2005 [PDF]
- Your Running Questions Answered; Q & A with FIRS T[PDF]
- Running, Aging, and Performance [PDF]
- Tri’ing for Faster Running Times [PDF]
- Sports Nutrition for the Runner [PDF]
- Take a Day Off to Run Faster [PDF]
- Performing in the Heat [PDF]
- 10 Minutes a Week to Faster Running Demonstration & Participation [PDF]
- Preparing to Run the Marathon [PDF]
- Your Guide to Running Shoes [PDF]
- Stretch to Run Faster Demonstration & Participation [PDF]
- Why You Need a Running Coach: Training With a Purpose [PDF]
- Fix Your Aching Leg (How to Avoid Running-Related Injuries) [PDF]
- Strategies for Running a Successful Marathon [PDF]
- How Strength Training Can Help You Run Faster Demonstration & Participation [PDF]