Associate Professor of Psychology
Dr. Blomquist studied psychology and French at Wellesley College where she graduated summa cum laude and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honors Society. She received her M.A. and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Vanderbilt University where she was awarded a National Science Foundation (NSF) graduate research fellowship followed by funding as a predoctoral trainee on an National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Developmental Psychopathology Training Grant. For her dissertation, she examined the effect of romantic relationships on women’s body dissatisfaction under the supervision of David Schlundt, Ph.D. and was awarded an APA Dissertation Research Award.
To complement her research interests and solidify her clinical experience treating disordered eating behaviors as well as mood and anxiety disorders, Dr. Blomquist completed her clinical psychology internship at the UC San Diego/VA eating, mood, and anxiety disorder clinics. In order to fully integrate her research and clinical interests, she accepted a postdoctoral fellowship, followed by an associate research scientist position, to conduct clinical research at Yale School of Medicine on several randomized controlled clinical trials for obese individuals with binge eating disorder.
- Associate Research Scientist, Yale School of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Yale School of Medicine
- Clinical Psychology Internship, University of California San Diego/VA
- Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
- M.A., Vanderbilt University
- B.A., Wellesley College
Kerstin investigates risk and maintenance factors for eating disorders, poor body image, and obesity as well as mechanisms for preventing and treating these problems. She also works with communities to develop and evaluate effective, sustainable community-based interventions to prevent eating and weight disorders.
- Kwan, M.Y., Haynos, A.F., Blomquist, K.K., & Roberto, C.A. (2018, in press). Warning labels on fashion images: Short- and longer-term effects on body dissatisfaction, eating disorder symptoms and eating behavior. International Journal of Eating Disorders.
- Stutts, L.A., & Blomquist, K.K. (2018, in press). The Moderating Role of Self-Compassion on Weight and Shape Concerns and Eating Pathology: A Longitudinal Study. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 1-11.
- Blomquist, K.K., Griffin, S., Hays, E.L.*, Schmalz, D.L., Sease, K., Reeves, C.B. (2018). Behavioral and psychological predictors of BMI reduction in children seeking treatment at a hospital clinic’s family-based pediatric weight management program. Journal of Childhood Obesity, 3(2), 1-8.
- Hopwood, C.J., Nye, C.D., Blomquist, K.K., & Grilo, C.M. (2018). Confirmatory validation and measurement equivalence of the Eating Loss of Control Scale in Binge Eating and Non-Clinical Samples. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 40, 476-483.
- Barnett, M.J.*, Dripps, W.R., & Blomquist, K.K. (2016). Organivore or Organorexic? Examining the relationship between alternative food network engagement, disordered eating, and special diets. Appetite, 105, 713-720.
- Kilpela, L.S., Blomquist, K.K., Verzijl, C., Wilfred, S., Beyl, R., Black Becker, C.A. (2016). The body project 4 all: A pilot randomized controlled trial of a mixed-gender dissonance-based body image program.International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49(6), 591-602.
- Schmalz, D. L., & Blomquist, K. K. (2016). Time to eat: Implications of leisure-based eating for health and development. In D. A. Kleiber and F. A. McGuire (Eds.) Leisure and Human Development. (pp. 189-216). Urbana, IL: Sagamore Publishing.
- Blomquist, K.K. & Grilo, C.M. (2015). Eating Loss of Control Scale. In T. Wade (Ed), Encyclopedia of Feeding and Eating Disorders. Springer.
- Blomquist, K.K. & Grilo, C.M. (2015). Family History of Anxiety in Overweight Men and Women with Binge Eating Disorder: A Preliminary Investigation. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 62, 161-169.
- Blomquist, K.K., Roberto, C.M., Barnes, R.D., White, M.A., Masheb, R.M., & Grilo, C.M. (2014). Development and validation of the Eating Loss of Control Scale. Psychological Assessment, 26(1), 77-89.
- Blomquist, K.K., Ansell, E., White, M.A., Masheb, R.M., & Grilo, C.M. (2012). Interpersonal problems and development trajectories of binge eating disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53(8), 1088-1095.
- Blomquist, K.K., Milsom, V., Barnes, R.D., Boeka, A., White, M.A., Masheb, R.M., Morgan, P. & Grilo, C.M. (2012). Metabolic syndrome in obese men and women with binge eating disorder: Developmental trajectories of eating and weight-related behaviors. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53(7), 1021-1027.
- Sawaoka T*, Barnes RD, Blomquist K.K. & Grilo CM. (2012). Social anxiety and self-consciousness in binge eating disorder: Associations with eating disorder psychopathology. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53,740-745.
- Durso L, Latner J, White M, Masheb R, Blomquist K.K., Morgan P & Grilo CM. (2012). Internalized weight bias in obese patients with binge eating disorder: Associations with eating disturbances and psychological functioning. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 45, 423-427.
- Barnes RD, Blomquist KK, & Grilo CM. (2011). Exploring pretreatment weight trajectories in obese patients with binge eating disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 52, 312-318.
- Blomquist KK, Masheb RM, White MA & Grilo CM. (2011). Parental history of substance use disorder is associated with the development of disordered eating in overweight men and women with binge eating disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 52, 693-700.
- Blomquist KK, Barnes RD, White MA, Masheb RM, Morgan P & Grilo CM. (2011). Exploring weight gain in year prior to treatment for binge eating disorder: A different context for interpreting limited weight losses in treatment studies. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 44, 435-439.
- Blomquist KK & Grilo CM. (2011). Predictive significance of changes in dietary restraint in obese patients with binge eating disorder during treatment. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 44, 515-523.
- Greco LA, Barnett E, Blomquist KK & Gevers A. (2008). Acceptance, body image, and health in adolescence. In L. A. Greco and S. C. Hayes (Eds.), Acceptance and mindfulness treatments for children and adolescents: A practitioner's guide. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Buchowski, M., Majchrzak, K., Blomquist, K.K., Chen, K., Byrne, D. & Bachorowski, J.A. (2006). Energy expenditure of genuine laughter. International Journal of Obesity, 31, 131-137.