Associate Professor of Psychology
Dr. Blomquist earned her B.A. in psychology and French at Wellesley College. She then pursued her Ph.D. in clinical science at Vanderbilt University. Dr. Blomquist completed her clinical psychology pre-doctoral internship at the UC San Diego/Veterans Affairs in the eating, mood, and anxiety disorder clinics. She then completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Yale School of Medicine in the Program for Obesity, Weight, and Eating Research, where she conducted clinical research, testing interventions for binge eating disorder and obesity. She continued this research as an Associate Research Scientist. She started her Assistant Professor position at Furman University in 2011, where her research examines risk factors for the development of disordered eating behaviors and aims to develop effective, sustainable interventions to prevent disordered eating behaviors and promote positive body image, healthy lifestyles, and psychological well-being.
- Associate Research Scientist, Yale School of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Yale School of Medicine
- Clinical Psychology Internship, University of California San Diego/VA
- Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
- M.A., Vanderbilt University
- B.A., Wellesley College
Kerstin investigates risk and maintenance factors for eating disorders, poor body image, and obesity as well as mechanisms for preventing and treating these problems. She also works with communities to develop and evaluate effective, sustainable community-based interventions to prevent eating and weight disorders.
- Mitchell, L. *, MacArthur, H.J., & Blomquist, K.K. (2021). The effect of misgendering on body dissatisfaction and dietary restraint in transgender individuals: Testing a Misgendering-Congruence Process. International Journal of Eating Disorders.
- Sahlan, R.N., Saunders, J.F., Perez, M., Blomquist, K.K., Fitzsimmons-Craft, E.E. & Bodell, L.P. (2021). The validation of a Farsi version of the Clinical Impairment Assessment (F-CIA) among Iranian adolescent boys and girls. Eating and Weight Disorders-Studies of Anorexia, Bulimia, and Obesity.
- Sahlan, R.N., Saunders, J.F., Perez, M., Blomquist, K.K., Fitzsimmons-Craft, E.E., & Bodell, L.P. (2021). The validation of a Farsi version of the Loss of Control over Eating Scale (F-LOCES) among Iranian adolescent boys and girls. Eating Behaviors.
- Blomquist, K.K., Hirsch, K.*, Lomas, E.*, Montgomery, K.*, & Becker C.B. (2021). Dissemination of a dissonance-based body image program in church settings: A preliminary controlled pilot study with adult women. Body Image, 36, 263-268.
- Blomquist, K.K., Schmalz, D.L., Pate, S.P.*, & Willmerdinger, A.* (2020). What happens when you compare yourself to a model eating a cheeseburger? An experiment testing the impact of models promoting calorie-dense foods on beliefs about weight maintenance, body satisfaction, and purchase intent. Journal of Eating Disorders. 8(1), 1-9.
- Hirsch, K.* & Blomquist, K.K. (2020). Community-based treatments to prevent disordered eating and obesity. Current Obesity Reports, 9, 81-97.
- Stutts, L.A. & Blomquist, K. K. (2020). A Longitudinal Study of Weight and Shape Concerns and Disordered Eating Groups and Their Relationship to Self-Control. Eating and Weight Disorders-Studies of Anorexia, Bulimia, and Obesity, 1-11.
- Carr, M.M., Lawson, J.L., Ivezaj, V., Blomquist, K.K., & Grilo, C.M, (2019). Psychometric properties of the Eating Loss of Control Scale among post-bariatric patients. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 15(10), 1829-1835
- Schmalz, D. L., Griffin, S. F., Blomquist, K. K., Reeves, C. B., Sease, K. K. (2019). New Impact: The value of recreation health partnerships in treating childhood obesity. Recreation, Parks, and Tourism in Public Health, 3, 47-66. doi: 10.2979/rptph.3.1.05
- Criss, S., Horhota, M., Wiles, K.*, Norton, J.*, Short, M.A.*, St. Hilaire, K.*, Blomquist, K.K. (2019). Food Cultures and Aging: A Qualitative Study of Grandparents’ Food Perceptions and Influence of Food Choice on Younger Generations. Public Health Nutrition. 23(2), 221-230.
- Schmalz, D. L., Joyner, L., Duffy, L. N., Bricker, K. S., & Blomquist, K. K. (2019). The cycle of food socialization: Leisure as resistance. Annals of Leisure Research, 1-20.
- Kwan, M.Y., Haynos, A.F., Blomquist, K.K., & Roberto, C.A. (2018). Warning labels on fashion images: Short- and longer-term effects on body dissatisfaction, eating disorder symptoms and eating behavior. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 51, 1153-1161.
- Stutts, L.A., & Blomquist, K.K. (2018). The moderating role of self-compassion on weight and shape concerns and eating pathology: A longitudinal study. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 51, 879-889.
- Blomquist, K.K., Griffin, S., Hays, E.L.*, Schmalz, D.L., Sease, K., Reeves, C.B. (2018). Behavioral and psychological predictors of BMI reduction in children seeking treatment at a hospital clinic’s family-based pediatric weight management program. Journal of Childhood Obesity, 3(2), 1-8.
- Hopwood, C.J., Nye, C.D., Blomquist, K.K., & Grilo, C.M. (2018). Confirmatory validation and measurement equivalence of the Eating Loss of Control Scale in Binge Eating and Non-Clinical Samples. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 40, 476-483.
- Barnett, M.J.*, Dripps, W.R., & Blomquist, K.K. (2016). Organivore or Organorexic? Examining the relationship between alternative food network engagement, disordered eating, and special diets. Appetite, 105, 713-720.
- Kilpela, L.S., Blomquist, K.K., Verzijl, C., Wilfred, S., Beyl, R., Black Becker, C.A. (2016). The body project 4 all: A pilot randomized controlled trial of a mixed-gender dissonance-based body image program.International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49(6), 591-602.
- Schmalz, D. L., & Blomquist, K. K. (2016). Time to eat: Implications of leisure-based eating for health and development. In D. A. Kleiber and F. A. McGuire (Eds.) Leisure and Human Development. (pp. 189-216). Urbana, IL: Sagamore Publishing.
- Blomquist, K.K. & Grilo, C.M. (2015). Eating Loss of Control Scale. In T. Wade (Ed), Encyclopedia of Feeding and Eating Disorders. Springer.
- Blomquist, K.K. & Grilo, C.M. (2015). Family History of Anxiety in Overweight Men and Women with Binge Eating Disorder: A Preliminary Investigation. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 62, 161-169.
- Blomquist, K.K., Roberto, C.M., Barnes, R.D., White, M.A., Masheb, R.M., & Grilo, C.M. (2014). Development and validation of the Eating Loss of Control Scale. Psychological Assessment, 26(1), 77-89.
- Blomquist, K.K., Ansell, E., White, M.A., Masheb, R.M., & Grilo, C.M. (2012). Interpersonal problems and development trajectories of binge eating disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53(8), 1088-1095.
- Blomquist, K.K., Milsom, V., Barnes, R.D., Boeka, A., White, M.A., Masheb, R.M., Morgan, P. & Grilo, C.M. (2012). Metabolic syndrome in obese men and women with binge eating disorder: Developmental trajectories of eating and weight-related behaviors. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53(7), 1021-1027.
- Sawaoka T*, Barnes RD, Blomquist K.K. & Grilo CM. (2012). Social anxiety and self-consciousness in binge eating disorder: Associations with eating disorder psychopathology. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53,740-745.
- Durso L, Latner J, White M, Masheb R, Blomquist K.K., Morgan P & Grilo CM. (2012). Internalized weight bias in obese patients with binge eating disorder: Associations with eating disturbances and psychological functioning. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 45, 423-427.
- Barnes RD, Blomquist KK, & Grilo CM. (2011). Exploring pretreatment weight trajectories in obese patients with binge eating disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 52, 312-318.
- Blomquist KK, Masheb RM, White MA & Grilo CM. (2011). Parental history of substance use disorder is associated with the development of disordered eating in overweight men and women with binge eating disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 52, 693-700.
- Blomquist KK, Barnes RD, White MA, Masheb RM, Morgan P & Grilo CM. (2011). Exploring weight gain in year prior to treatment for binge eating disorder: A different context for interpreting limited weight losses in treatment studies. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 44, 435-439.
- Blomquist KK & Grilo CM. (2011). Predictive significance of changes in dietary restraint in obese patients with binge eating disorder during treatment. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 44, 515-523.
- Greco LA, Barnett E, Blomquist KK & Gevers A. (2008). Acceptance, body image, and health in adolescence. In L. A. Greco and S. C. Hayes (Eds.), Acceptance and mindfulness treatments for children and adolescents: A practitioner's guide. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Buchowski, M., Majchrzak, K., Blomquist, K.K., Chen, K., Byrne, D. & Bachorowski, J.A. (2006). Energy expenditure of genuine laughter. International Journal of Obesity, 31, 131-137.