Juan J. Garrido Pozú
Assistant Professor of Spanish
I joined the Spanish program in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at Furman University in August 2022. I was born and raised in Lima, Peru, where I completed a B.Ed. in English Language Teaching (TESOL) at Universidad Nacional Federico Villarreal. In 2016, I came to the United States to pursue a master's degree in Spanish at Auburn University (Auburn, AL). Then, I completed a Ph.D. in Bilingualism and Second Language Acquisition at Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ), where I also obtained a graduate certificate in Cognitive Science from the Rutgers University Center for Cognitive Science.Since 2010, I have taught Spanish and English language courses to learners in Peru, the U.S., and China, as well as courses on Spanish linguistics, second language acquisition, and bilingualism. My experience teaching both English and Spanish as a second/foreign language inspired my interest in how second language learners and bilinguals perceive, process, and acquire language. My main research interests include second language acquisition and bilingualism with a focus on phonetics and laboratory phonology. My most recent research projects have focused on investigating cross-language interactions in L2 speech perception, lexical segmentation, syllabification, and spoken word recognition.
- Ph.D., Rutgers University
- M.A., Auburn University
- B.Ed., Universidad Nacional Federico Villarreal
- Second Language Acquisition
- Phonology and Phonetics
- Speech Perception
- Spoken Word Recognition
- Casillas, J. V., Garrido-Pozú, J. J., Parrish, K., Fernández Arroyo, L., Rodríguez, N., Esposito, R., Chang, I., Gómez, K., Constantin-Dureci, G., Shao, J., Andreu, I., & Taveras, K. (2023). Using intonation to disambiguate meaning: The role of empathy and proficiency in L2 perceptual development. Applied Psycholinguistics, 1-28. DOI:10.1017/S0142716423000310.
- Garrido Pozú, J.J. (2023). L2 speech segmentation for word recognition: The role of lexical stress and syllable structure. In: Radek Skarnitzl & Jan Volín (Eds.), Proceedings of the 20th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (pp. 540–544). Guarant International.
- Garrido-Pozú, J. J. (2022). Predictive processing of grammatical gender: Using gender cues to facilitate processing in Spanish. Lingua, 278(C), 103416. DOI: 10.1016/j.lingua.2022.103416.
- Lozano-Argüelles, C., Fernández Arroyo, L., Rodríguez, N., Durand López, E., Garrido-Pozú, J. J., Markovits Rojas, J., Varela, J., de Rocafiguera, N., Casillas, J. (2021). Conceptually cued perceptual categorization in adult L2 learners. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 43(1), 204-219. DOI: 10.1017/S0272263120000273.