Associate Professor, Politics and International Affairs
David Fleming graduated magna cum laude from the University of Notre Dame in 2003 with his B.A. in Political Science. He received his M.A. and Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Joining the Furman University faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2009, Dr. Fleming teaches courses in American politics, political analysis, and public policy. He has led study away programs in Washington, DC and Ireland.
Dr. Fleming’s research interests include education policy, civic education, and political participation. Through his association with the Riley Institute at Furman University, Dr. Fleming is a co-investigator on a five-year evaluation of public Montessori schools in South Carolina.
Dr. Fleming was a Senior Research Associate for the School Choice Demonstration Project’s evaluation of the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program (MPCP). The MPCP is the nation’s oldest and largest urban school voucher program. As the official evaluators of this program, Dr. Fleming and his colleagues examined how school vouchers affect student achievement, graduation rates, parental satisfaction, and a host of other outcomes. Read more about the MPCP project.
- Ph.D.,University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.A., University of Notre Dame
- Fleming, David J., Joshua M. Cowen, John F. Witte, and Patrick J. Wolf. Forthcoming. "Similar Students, Different Choices: Who Uses a School Voucher in an Otherwise Similar Population of Students?" Education and Urban Society.
- Cowen, Joshua M., Deven E. Carlson, and David J. Fleming. Forthcoming. "Third-Party Governance and Performance Measurement: The Case of Private School Vouchers." Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. doi: 10.1093/jopart/mut017
- Carlson, Deven E., Joshua M. Cowen, and David J. Fleming. 2013. "Life After Vouchers: What Happens to Students Who Leave Private Schools for the Traditional Public Sector?" Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis. 35(2): 179-199.
- Cowen, Joshua M., David J. Fleming, John F. Witte, Patrick J. Wolf, and Brian Kisida. 2013. "School Vouchers and Student Attainment: Evidence from a State-Mandated Study of Milwaukee's Parental Choice Program." Policy Studies Journal. 41(1): 147-168.
- Fleming, David J. and Joshua M. Cowen. 2012. "Secondary Data Analysis." In Doing Political Science Research, Akan Malici and Liz Smith, Eds. New York: Routledge, 111-132.
- Cowen, Joshua M., David J. Fleming, John F. Witte, and Patrick J. Wolf. 2012. "Going Public: Who Leaves a Large, Longstanding, and Widely Available Urban Voucher Program?" American Educational Research Journal. 49(2): 231-256.
- Wolf, Patrick J., John F. Witte, and David J. Fleming. 2012. "Special Choices: Do Voucher Schools Serve Students with Disabilities?" Education Next, 12(3): 16-22.