Caroline J. Davis
Visiting Lecturer, Theatre Arts and Education
A native of Greenville, SC, Professor Davis performed in her first play at the South Carolina Children's Theatre when she was five years old. She now teaches a variety of courses for the Theatre Arts department in acting, textual analysis, and theatre history. After leaving Greenville to work in Florida and Texas, Professor Davis is grateful to be back at home collaborating with the next generation of theatre artist-scholars.
Professor Davis is also a freelance director, actor, dramaturg, and stage manager, and spends her nights and summers in rehearsal for productions across the Carolinas. She currently serves on the Editorial Board for Southern Theatre magazine, the Artistic Advisory Council for the South Carolina Children's Theatre, and the Communications Committee for Upstate Pride SC.
- OLLI Faculty Enrichment Award, Furman University, 2022
- DEI Mini-Grant, Furman University, 2020
- Outstanding Student Director, Texas Tech University School of Theatre and Dance, 2017
- Furman Theatre Guild Award of Distinguished Achievement, 2013
- Joanne Woodward Award - Best Direction of a Studio 444 Play, 2012
- M.F.A., Theatrical Performance and Pedagogy, Texas Tech University;
- B.A., Theatre Arts, minor in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Furman University
- "Skylar Fox: You Are the Actual Magic," Southern Theatre magazine
- "The Farm Theater's College Collaboration Project: Cultivating the Next Generation of New Play Development Talent," Southern Theatre magazine
- The Warehouse Theatre: Odd (world premiere), Kill Corp (AD; world premiere)
- Furman University: The Wolves, Late: A Cowboy Song, Our Tempest
- Centre Stage South Carolina: Mack, Beth
- Guerrilla Shakespeare Theatre: Miss Julie
- Texas Tech University: Mr. Burns: A Post-Electric Play, It All Comes Down (AD), "Flagellate Me Baby!," "Addicted"
- The BurkTech Players, You Live And You Learn (AD), "Playwriting 101," "Apres Opera"
- Riverside Children's Theatre: The Jungle Book: Kids, "Steps into Books!"
- Greenville Theatre Studio 444, "Pitbulls, Bowling Balls, and Tiaras"
- Centre Stage South Carolina: Noises Off!, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Detroit
- Prague Fringe Festival: Shooting Blanks
- Riverside Theatre, The Bully Plays, The Wolf and its Shadow, Cows Don't Fly, Goldilocks Revisited
- The Distracted Globe: The Taming of the Shrew
- The Moliere Improv Project: The Miser Improvised
- Greenville Theatre: Leading Ladies, Appointment with Death, Anton in Show Business
- Proud Mary Theatre, 5 Lesbians Eating Quiche
- Guerrilla Shakespeare Theatre, Bull, Romeo and Juliet
- Lean Ensemble Theatre: The Taming
- Furman University: John Proctor is the Villain
- Greenville Light Opera Works: Carmen, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, My Fair Lady
- "The Taming of the Shrew and Feminist Interpretations of Shakespeare," Guest Lecturer, Performing of Identity, California State University, Chico, CA
- "The Art of Flirting: Casual Social Interaction for College Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder" with Sam Shreffler, Project CASE College Workshops, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- "Staging the Future: A Conversation with Anne Washburn" with Dorothy Chansky, Jesse Jou, and Anne Washburn, Humanities Center Lecture Series, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- "The East Side Arts Camp: Designing, Framing, and Sustaining a Summer Camp for Elementary Students" with Jared Strange and Meg Davis, Regional Academic Engagement Symposium, Lubbock, TX
- "Staging Social Interaction: Drama Therapy and the BurkTech Players" with Sam Shreffler, South Plains Autism Network Forum, Lubbock, TX
- "Shooting Blanks Promotional Preview," The Fringe Sunday, Prague Fringe Festival, Prague, Czech Republic
- "The Bully Plays" with Allen Niles and Camille Jenkins, Theatre for Youth Invitational Festival, Southeastern Theatre Conference, Mobile, AL
- "Non-Verbal Behavioral Clinic: Status Transactions" with Bob Chanda and Ashley Meyer, International Teaching Assistant Summer Workshops, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX