Assistant Professor, Politics and International Affairs; Co-chair, Middle East and Islamic Studies
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 864.294.2712
- Office: 111N Johns Hall
Buket Oztas is an assistant professor of Politics and International Affairs and the co-chair of the Middle East and Islamic Studies minor. Originally from Izmir (Turkey), she holds a Ph.D. in political science from the University of Florida (2016) and a B.A. (summa cum laude) and B.S. (summa cum laude) in global and international affairs from Binghamton University and Bilkent University (2010). She specializes in comparative politics, with a regional focus on the Middle East and North Africa. Prior to joining the Furman faculty, Dr. Oztas served as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Government at Franklin & Marshall College and offered courses on Islam and Politics and Politics of the Middle East.
- Ph.D., University of Florida
- B.S., Binghamton University
- B.A., Bilkent University (Turkey)
Dr. Oztas' research focuses on the changing institutional dynamics (e.g., political parties, democratization, democratic backsliding and populism) in predominantly Muslim countries, with particular interest in post-Islamism and transnational identities (e.g., foreign fighters, diaspora politics, and transnational political Islam). It also includes an ongoing research initiative on the agenda-setting powers of the European Commission. Her scholarship has been published in Comparative Political Studies, Journal of Common Market Studies, and International Journal of Communication.
- Oztas, B., & Lukacovic, M. N. (2022). Insurgent-Generated Content and Framing ‘The New Internationalist Commune’ of Rojava in Northern Syria. International Journal of Communication, 16, 1083–1108.;
- Oztas, B., & Kreppel, A. (2021). Power or Luck? The Limitations of the European Commission's Agenda Setting Power and Autonomous Policy Influence. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, 60(2), 408-426.;
- Oztas, B. (2020). Islamic Populism: Promises and Limitations. The Journal of Interdisciplinary Middle Eastern Studies, 6(1), 103-129.;
- Kreppel, A., & Oztas, B. (2017). Leading the band or just playing the tune? Reassessing the agenda-setting powers of the European Commission. Comparative Political Studies, 50(8), 1118-1150.
Additional Professional Activity
She began her term as executive director of the Southeast Regional Middle East and Islamic Studies Society in April 2022.