Lecturer of Music; Collaborative Pianist
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 864.294.2176
- Office: Daniel Music Building, Room 11-C
Dewitt Tipton is an instructor at Furman serving as one of the staff accompanist / collaborative pianist. An integral and essential part of the recital process, Tipton not only accompanies students but coaches, guides and mentors them as they practice for their pending jury or recital. His skill expands the Furman students' performance options and permits them to study and present challenging solo selections and chamber works. From concerto accompaniments and opera scene recitals to junior/senior recitals and faculty chamber music, Tipton supports the department's extensive offerings from the piano.
In addition to his position at Furman, he is currently Organist and Music Director at the Episcopal Church of St. John in the Wilderness, Flat Rock, N.C., and Conductor Emeritus of the Asheville Symphony Chorus. For fifteen years, Mr. Tipton was the official accompanist for the North and South Carolina Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions.
- Official Accompanist, Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions (2000-2012)
- Concert with Dr. William Thomas in Arezzo, Italy (2011)
- Concerts with Jacquelyn Culpepper in regions around the Mediterranean (2009)
- Accompanist for National Youth Choral Festival at New York's Carnegie Hall (2004)
- Concert with Metropolitan Opera mezzo-soprano Suzanne Mentzer in Raleigh, N.C. (2004)
- M.M., University of Illinois
- B.M., Mars Hill College
- Kenneth Drake and John Wustman, University of Illinois
- John P. Adams, Mars Hill College