Department Chair and Professor of Physics; Undergraduate Evening Studies Faculty
David Moffett is Furman's astronomer and oversees the operation of the Timmons Planetarium. He teaches introductory physics courses, astronomy, and mechanics, and he serves as the dual-degree advisor in engineering. In addition to teaching at Furman, Moffett collaborates with faculty from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to host the annual Educational Research In Radio Astronomy (ERIRA) workshop at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Greenbank, WV.
Moffett continues to perform radio astronomical observations of supernova remnants, and is currently working with Furman students to study the expansion and polarization properties of the remnant of the historical supernova of 1006 AD.
- Henry Keith and Ellen Hard Townes Professor of Physics (2008 - 2010)
- Sigma Pi Sigma National Physics Honor Society
- American Astronomical Society
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- American Association of Variable Star Observers
- International Astronomical Union
- Ph.D., New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology
- M.S., North Carolina State University
- B.S., - Magna Cum LaudeNorth Carolina State University