Chris Alvin grew up in Madison, Wisconsin. After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics and Computer Science from Ripon College, he continued his computer science education at the University of Wisconsin at Madison where he completed a Master's degree. After a two-year stint as a software engineer, he turned to teaching high school mathematics for 7 years. A computer scientist at heart, he completed his PhD in Computer Science with a dissertation that focused on automated solving and generating high school geometry problems. Dr. Alvin spent the next 3 years teaching at Bradley University before joining Furman University in August 2018. Dr. Alvin has an interest in student research, computer science pedagogy and best practices, as well as applying artificial intelligence techniques to better help teachers teach and students learn.
- Ph.D. Computer Science, Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge
- M.S. Mathematics, Marquette University
- M.S. Computer Science, University of Wisconsin at Madison
- B.A. Mathematics, Computer Science, Ripon College
- Artificial Intelligence
- Intelligent Tutoring
- Static Program Analysis
- Alvin C., Student Generation of an Optimal Decision Procedure using Guess Who?, The Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, 2019, 34(6): 26-34
- Stocker, A., Alvin C., Non-Linear Quest Generation, Proceedings of the 31st International Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference, FLAIRS 2018
- Alvin C., Peterson B., Mukhopadhyay S., Static Generation of UML Sequence Diagrams, Proceedings of Fundamental Approaches to Software Engineering - 20th International Conference, FASE 2017
- Naderi M., Alvin C., Ding, Y., Mukhopadhyay S., Brylinski M., A Graph-Based Approach to Construct Target-Focused Libraries for Virtual Screening, Journal of Cheminformatics, 8(1): 14:1-14:16, 2016.
- Alvin C., Gulwani S., Majumdar R., Mukhopadhyay S., Synthesis of Geometry Proof Problems, Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2014