2023 Furman Fellows announced
The Furman Fellowship is an endowed scholarship fund founded in 2004 with a gift from Furman trustee emeritus Bob Buckman and Joyce Mollerup. Each year, five seniors are recognized as Furman Fellows and receive a scholarship to use toward the completion of their degree.
“My wife and I established Furman Fellows in order to recognize outstanding seniors who make a difference in the school or the lives of others, bring creativity and imagination to their daily lives, demonstrate problem-solving abilities and have the respect of their peers and faculty,” said Buckman. “Over the years, these senior students have been outstanding examples of the Furman student body. We are proud of each one of them and what they have accomplished.”
“The Class of 2023 Furman Fellows embody the spirit of this award and the mission of our university,” Erik Ching, interim associate provost for engaged learning, said. “As leaders, artists, advocates, scientists and pioneers, they embody the diversity of our campus, and I look forward to seeing the impact their proposed projects will have on our Furman and Greenville communities.”
The recipients of the 2023 Furman Fellowships are:
- Taylor Andrzejewski: double majoring in education and information technology, Taylor is from Ridgefield, Connecticut.
- Kylie Gambrill: double majoring in anthropology and environmental science, Kylie is from Summerville, South Carolina.
- Ian McPherson: majoring in biology and environmental conservation with a minor in environmental studies, Ian is from Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- Charles Miles: double majoring in communication studies and mathematics, Charles is from Fort Mill, South Carolina.
- Bridget Scalia: majoring in psychology, Bridget is from McLean, Virginia.
The fellows will work throughout the year on a presentation highlighting the tangible impact of a project or initiative they complete as part of the program. These presentations will be shared during Furman Engaged on April 14, 2023 where a new class of Furman Fellows will be announced.
Registration for Furman Engaged, including the Furman Fellows presentations, and Furman’s Campaign Launch Weekend can be found here.