Summer Internships in Health Sciences
At Furman, we consider internships to be an essential element of the learning process of our students.
The health science department offers both structured internships and those with fewer guidelines.
Structured internships are developed with specific goals in mind, and students generally create a report, read research and literature aligned with the internship, and write a summary of their experiences. This form of an internship requires a declared Health Science major.
Other opportunities are also available for students considering a Health Science major, but are undeclared. Our department spans the realms of fitness, nutrition, public health, epidemiology, sports medicine, and many others, providing multiple different avenues for exploration.
Our internship office remains a valuable resource for any student tracking down a new opportunity for engaged learning. Aid with cover letters, resumes, and interviews is offered at the office, and students can seek additional advisement with a career advisor.
Some of the internships our students participated were with:
- Motion Sports Medicine
- The Magdalene Clinic and Furman IACH
- Prisma Kidnetics // Agapi Behavioral Consultants
- Furman Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- South Carolina Ovarian Cancer Foundation
- Prisma Health, Clinical Education Department
- Together Women Rise
- Equine Assisted Therapy Alaska
- National Patient Advocate Foundation
- Prisma Baptist Easley Hospital Heartlife Internship
- Knight Performance Factory
- Prisma Health Upstate – Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics
- Prisma Health, South Carolina Legal Services
- Steadman Hawkins Foundation of the Carolinas
- University Of Utah – Cognition and Behavioral Science Lab
- United Ministries
- The Lung Cancer Initiative of North Carolina
For further guidance, make sure to connect with our faculty about possible opportunities for structured internships. The precious guidance of a professor remains integral to our educational approach. Additionally, reach out to our internship office for more assistance!