Director and Lead Teacher of Furman Child Development Center
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 864.300.0414
- Office: Furman CDC
I started teaching in South Carolina public schools in the late 1990s. I was employed by two different school districts and taught kindergarten and first grade for 7 years. I then moved to the position of director and Lead Teacher of the Furman Child Development Center. I have been there for ten years. Seven years ago, I started a book club for parents and teachers at the CDC to foster an atmosphere of learning together. Aside from working directly with the children, my main interests are parent and teacher education/training, The Project Approach, nature-based learning and sustainability, and family engagement in early childhood. I currently serve as the President of the South Carolina Association for the Education of Young Children (SCAEYC) and I am a Master Certified Trainer for the SC CCCCD system.
- WYFF Golden Apple Award;
- NAEYC for Families Advisory Council Member (2014-2017);
- Teaching Young Children Advisory Council Member (2011-2014).
- M.A., Certification as Reading Specialist
- B.A., Furman University
- Certifications in Early Childhood in Elementary Education, Furman University
- Burton, M. & L. DeJong. 2013. "Book Clubs Strengthen Family-Teacher Partnerships and Build Community." Young Children 68 (5): 62-67.