History of the bell tower
The distinctive bell tower on the campus of Furman University has a history that goes back to 1854, when the original tower stood watch over the downtown campus of the then all-male university. Among other events, the bells sounded at the start of classes, which were suspended during the Civil War, and were rung to signal a Furman football victory at Sirrine Stadium. The replica tower that now sits on a peninsula in Furman Lake was built and dedicated in 1965 through a gift from the Alester G. Furman family. Greenville360 has more about Furman’s signature landmark.