Riley Institute announces Excellence Award semifinalists
The Riley Institute at Furman University has announced the 2014 semifinalists for the annual Dick and Tunky Riley WhatWorksSC Award for Excellence.
The semifinalists will be recognized Oct. 2 at the fourth annual WhatWorksSC awards luncheon to be held at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center. The event is sponsored by the Riley Institute and South Carolina Future Minds.
Presented in conjunction with the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce and the South Carolina State Board of Education, the awards ceremony will be hosted by Linda O’Bryon, president and CEO of South Carolina ETV.
This year’s semifinalists, which were selected from more than 80 nominees, are:
- Communities in School (CIS)
- South Carolina Center for Children’s Books & Literacy/Cocky’s Reading Express
- Francis Marion University Center of Excellence to Prepare Teachers of Children In Poverty
- Horry County Early College High School
- Parents as Teachers SC
- PITSCO Math Program
- Reach Out and Read—A National School Readiness Initiative
- Summer Learning Academies (SLAs)
- Strengthening Families Program
Three finalists from the nominees will be selected to receive a cash prize to grow their programs and share information with others. More information about this year’s semifinalists is available here.
Tickets for the awards luncheon are $15 and are available online.
WhatWorksSC ties strategies for world-class schools in South Carolina to promising in-state initiatives. It includes policy papers written by state leaders, case studies, and a clearinghouse of initiatives that explore and exemplify key strategies for improving South Carolina’s public schools.
For more information, call the Riley Institute at 864-294-3546.