Parking and Vehicle Registration
All automobiles on the Furman campus must be registered with University Police. Contact the Fitness Center staff for a valid parking sticker.
All users of the Physical Activities Center and Furman Fitness Center must scan their ID for entry. Only Furman students, faculty and staff, their spouses and legal dependents, and current members have access to the fitness center or pool. Whether using the Fitness Center or pool, patrons must scan their ID before working out. A replacement ID costs $20.
Proper attire allows for range of motion and reduces excessive wear on the equipment. Jeans and sandals are not appropriate in the Furman Fitness Center.
Because of the design of the equipment, no one under the age of 13 is allowed in the fitness center. Children may use the pool under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian.
Although the Furman Fitness Center does not offer trial memberships, those interested in joining the Furman Fitness Center can purchase a guest pass for only $8. Guest and day passes are intended for guests and not short-term membership. The Furman Fitness Center is unable to offer an unlimited guest pass or day pass option. Upstate community members may apply for membership but are limited to five guest pass visits. This limited guest pass option is offered to afford prospective members the time to complete the membership application. All guests are required to read and sign a general waiver prior to using the PAC facilities. A record is kept of all guests. Guest or day passes are not available for use of the gymnasium.
Furman Fitness Center
Although exercise programs are self-directed, the staff reserves the right to modify any programs or procedures which may result in personal injury or damage to the equipment.
Those who violate these rules will be asked to leave. Proper use of the Furman Fitness Center will help facilitate everyone’s opportunity to have a safe and productive workout. Failure to comply with these guidelines and policies may result in loss of privileges.
The Furman Fitness Center expects all patrons to behave appropriately. Inappropriate behavior such as foul language, fighting, dangerous play, dangerous acts, misuse of equipment, failure to cooperate with others using the equipment, or harassment in any form against others is unacceptable and may result in action by the Furman Fitness Center, including but not limited to being required to leave the premises or termination of membership.
The Furman Fitness Center reserves the right to suspend facility use for breach of the rules or conduct which, in the opinion of the Furman Fitness Center staff, is damaging to the character or interests of Furman University and its patrons.
Additional policies include:
- ID authorization is required to enter the Furman Fitness Center. Falsification of your identity is a serious act of misconduct and subject to a hearing by a university judicial officer.
- Proper attire required (shirt and athletic shoes) for all persons using the facility. Denim jeans, sandals, flip-flops, and/or open-end shoes are not allowed. Shirts are required. To avoid rips and tears to the upholstery, belts should not be worn when sitting or laying on equipment.
- Collars/clips are required on all barbells.
- Weights and dumbbells are not to be placed on benches.
- Equipment is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Free weight equipment must remain in the free weight area. Weights should not be rested against walls or against the equipment. All plates and dumbbells should be returned to their designated positions labeled on the racks and weight trees.
- Patrons are to wipe off control panels, seats, pads, and railings after use.
- Food and tobacco are not allowed in the Furman Fitness Center.
- Individuals without a High School ID are not allowed in the Furman Fitness Center.
- Proper use of the equipment is paramount. Equipment is to be used in the way in which it is intended. For assistance with your training program and/or the equipment, please see the FFC staff.
- For safety, always use a spotter. Lift within your capabilities. Offer to spot unaccompanied lifters.
- As a courtesy to others, do not rest on equipment. Please let people who are waiting for work through between multiple sets.
- All patrons are required to scan a valid ID prior to entering the pool.
- Patrons are required to indicate their membership status to the lifeguard on duty.
- Swimmers are required to shower prior to entering the pool.
- Children without a High School ID are not allowed in the pool without a parent or guardian.
- Swimmers should not hang on the lane ropes.
- A first aid kit is located in the lifeguard desk.
- No running.
- No diving.
- No animals allowed in the pool or on the pool deck.
- No food or drink in the pool area.
- No glass in the pool area.
- No rough play (as determined by the lifeguard on duty).
- No playing with the rescue equipment.
- No playing in lanes during lap swim hours.
- No swimming during thunder/lightning storms.
- No person under the influence of alcohol or drugs should use the pool.
- Maximum number of patrons in lap pool: 136
- Maximum number of patrons in the therapy pool: 46