Admissions Summer 22 Interns

Last updated June 17, 2022

By

Alex Lister

Alex Lister

Hey everyone! My name is Alex Lister and I’m a rising junior here at Furman! I’m from Princeton, NJ and studying Psychology and Spanish with the hopes of being a therapist for bilingual communities. On campus, I’m involved in Admissions, Orientation Staff, Furman Singers, Furman University Poverty Awareness Committee, and Greek life. I’m excited to connect with you all this summer and give you some insight into life at Furman! My time at Furman has been incredible and I can’t wait to share my experiences! Looking forward to this summer!

Bailey Ellingsen

Bailey Ellingsen

Howdy! My name is Bailey Ellingsen and I am from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. I am a rising senior and am pursuing a degree in Communications on the Rhetoric track. I have been involved in the work study program, Furman Futures, and now am a Summer Admissions Intern. This past year I have participated in one of the study abroad opportunities Furman offers and spent an academic year in Athens, Greece. I am beyond excited to be back and to write to you all this summer. I will be informing you of some of the aspects of Furman which makes this University special for me, alumni, and the student body. Once a din, always a din!

Bennett Kesler

Bennett Kesler

Hey, Furman Family! My name is Bennett Kesler and I’ve just started an internship with the Office of Admissions this summer. This blog is my chance to introduce myself to all the prospective families out there thinking about choosing Furman. Currently, I am a Spanish major heading into my senior year and hoping to pursue a Masters of Arts in Teaching after graduation. Before Furman, I lived in Nashville, Tennessee and attended a small liberal arts K-12 school with a really similar educational structure to Furman. Education is a huge passion of mine, which is a big part of the reason I’m spending my summer here at my second home. I’m lucky enough that a large portion of my community is here with me this summer, but even if you would rather be home during your time off, your Furman Family will be here waiting for you the very next semester. During the school year, you can usually find me sitting at the piano down in the practice rooms of the music building, but at least once a day I’ll be at the Lib Cafe for some carbs and caffeine, then it’s immediately off to the PAC to put that bagel to good use. Keep an eye out on this blog page and our social media pages for posts and takeovers by the awesome group of student interns I’ll be working with this summer!

Forrester Gibbs

Forrester Gibbs

What’s going on everyone!? My name is Forrester Gibbs, and I am a Greenville local here in South Carolina and a rising junior at Furman. I am a Psychology major with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. From our student activity board, FUSAB, Greek life, to even an acapella group, FUTones, I participate in a good number of clubs and activities. I have a long family line of Furman alumni- I am a 5th generation Furman legacy student. I am so happy I get the chance to share a glimpse of my Furman experience with you all this summer! Check back in soon for my future posts and come give Furman a visit sometime!

Josh Swope

Josh Swope

What’s Poppin!

My name is Josh Swope and I am a rising senior Communications Studies major from Atlanta, GA. I am the current Student Body President and one of the admissions interns this summer, so saying I am excited for this next year is an understatement. I am also involved with organizations such as the Astronomy Club, International Students Association, American Sign Language Club, Ultimate Frisbee, and the National Eating Disorder Association on campus. As busy as I am during the normal school day, being so involved on campus is one of my favorite things about being a Furman student. With over 200 different student organizations, D1 sports, and clubs on campus, I have found my niche and sense of belonging in many different corners on and off-campus, and this is the reason why I proudly call Furman my home. From leading stargazing trips to blasting Gloria Gaynor in my hammock across the lake with my friends, my Furman experience is one that I hold the nearest to my heart. That about wraps my introduction blog, I look forward to sharing more Furman experiences and stories with you this summer. You’re doing great, keep killing it.

Justin Perez

Justin Perez

Hey it’s JP! I cannot believe that I am a rising senior. Time has flown too quickly! I’m pursuing a degree in Politics and International Affairs and am from the beaches of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. I’m part of the Sigma Chi Fraternity, Residential Life Council, Student Alumni Council, an Orientation Leader, Pathways Peer Advisor, and served in our Student Government. I am so stoked and excited to be writing to you this summer and tell you how I am so proud to call Furman my home. Cannot wait to meet you on a tour soon! Here’s to the best year to come!

Luke Sommerdyke

Luke Sommerdyke

Hello future Paladins. I am Luke Sommerdyke, and I am a rising junior here at Furman coming from Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina. I am a Business and German double major here at Furman. Furman is a place that I have come to call home in these past two years between the Furman and Greenville communities, the Furman staff, and everything that Furman has to offer. I am currently involved in Fraternity life and the Inter Fraternity Council here at Furman. I am also involved in both club and intramural sports. I am excited to share with you how I have come to call Furman home.

TJ Robertson

TJ Robertson

Hello again! My name is TJ and I’m back this summer serving as an Intern in the Admissions Office. I am a Politics and International Affairs and Sociology double major with a minor in Data Analytics from Rock Hill, South Carolina (right outside of Charlotte). Along with being an Admissions Ambassador and Intern, I am a member of the Furman University Student Activities Board (FUSAB), a Shucker Leadership Fellow, and am on Furman’s Club Swimming and Volleyball teams. When deciding between colleges, Furman checked every box I wanted: a beautiful campus, excellent reputation, tight community, plenty of major options, a culture of involvement, etc. I couldn’t be happier with my decision and cannot wait to write more to you all this summer!

We want to make sure you stay connected with Furman this summer! Make sure to follow the Admissions Instagram account, @fuadmission, to keep up with all of the Summer Interns and learn more about life at Furman. We will also be doing blog posts about various aspects of Furman, including study abroad, student life, hidden gems of campus, and more. If you have any questions about the application process or financial aid, make sure to reach out to your Admissions Counselor. We’d love to meet you, so make sure to schedule your Campus Visit! We look forward to connecting with you soon!