Taking Advantage of Furman Engaged

Furman Engaged looked a lot different for me than I expected this year. I didn’t have any presentations, so I was just excited for a nice relaxing day off from class. Little did I know, this day had way more to offer me.

I started my morning at Tandem with my sister, and it was so nice to spend some time with her at our favorite crepe restaurant! I actually hadn’t had the chance to go all semester, so I loved finally getting to enjoy a breakfast off campus during the week.

At the same time, I was trying to figure out all my classes for the next semester because some courses I wanted to take didn’t fit into my schedule. I registered for classes the next day, so I was in somewhat of a panic trying to find different options. I talked to some upperclassmen Health Sciences majors about classes they’d taken and one of them told me about an internship class they enjoyed. I emailed the professor to see if there was any possibility to join her class in the fall, but I hadn’t heard back from her yet.

While I’m at breakfast with my sister, I get an email back from the professor telling me about a Furman Engaged presentation her students are doing about the internship program later that day at 12:30! I was so eager to hear about that possibility and talk to the professor that my sister and I got back to campus right on time. I went straight to the presentation and was hoping I could talk to the professor afterwards.

These presentations were about the FIT Rx and the FUEL internship programs in the Health Sciences department. At first, I had only heard about the FUEL internship that discusses nutrition and educating the public on healthier eating habits. Once I heard about FIT Rx, I actually realized it was a better fit for my career path! This internship is a like a training program where participants sign up to be matched with a student trainer that creates an individualized workout plan. I am hoping to go into physical therapy so this participant connection and hands-on experience would be perfect for me.

I loved hearing about current students’ experiences and after the presentations, the professor recognized me, and we had a chance to talk about questions I had about the program. After we chatted for a while, she said there were still a few spots open for the Fall semester internship and she would love to work with me in the class. I knew this would be such an exciting opportunity and a class that I would love!

This day was anything but what I expected. I started the day completely stressed about the next semester, but ready for a day with nothing to do. I ended the day with a fun and engaging presentation that led to the perfect internship for me next semester. I always knew Furman Engaged was a helpful day for students to present their research and findings to our campus, but I never knew just how much it could help!

All the love!

Andersen

Recent Posts

Wreaking HAVOC

Are you competitive? Dedicated to fundraising? Wanting to meet new people? If so, HAVOC is the competition for you! HAVOC is an annual competition put on by our Student Activities Board (FUSAB). Think CBS Survivor...

Continue Reading >

Fall & Spring Concerts: My favorite Furman Tradition

Hi everyone! Its Olivia Pearson, and this week I am going to talk about my favorite Furman Tradition... Every year FUSAB (Furman University Student Activities Board) puts on 2 concerts, one in the fall and...

Continue Reading >

Why Choose Furman?

Hey, Furman family! As we approach National Decision Day on May 1, I want to list a few reasons why I chose to attend the amazing university I now call home - Furman! There are...

Continue Reading >