Learning More About Your Peers Through CLP’s

Last updated April 26, 2022

By Olivia Pearson

Every week at Furman University, CLP’s are held. Furman describes what a CLP is and the purpose of them as the following: “The intent of the Cultural Life Program (CLP) is to encourage students to attend a variety of high quality events that provide enriching, challenging cultural experiences. Collectively, events designated as CLPs should engage students in a spectrum of issues, ideas, and artistic expressions from various disciplines and cultures. Events foster a sense of community on campus and help those in attendance see multiple compelling and legitimate views on cultural issues, inspiring a life-long pursuit of intellectual fulfillment and cultural engagement.”

Voices of Africa

March 24, 2022

On March 24, 2022 I went to my favorite CLP yet! This CLP was put on by one of my professors this semester, Dr. Kwami. She has been very open about her background since our class began, so as one of her students, I have heard a lot about her life growing up in Ghana, Africa. One of my favorite things about Furman University is the diversity. There are people (students, faculty, and staff) from all walks of life who originate from all around the globe. During this CLP, we, as an audience, were able to learn about several African countries. Our fellow students at Furman who are from Africa presented their home countries to us and allowed us to get a glimpse into what their life in Africa looked like. To open the event, Professor Kwami chose to break down the stereotypes of Africa. She explained that Africa is often misrepresented and that she was working to rewrite Africa’s story. We learned that Africa is an oral country meaning they do not write down history, but instead the people of Africa are their history books. This is why events like this one are so important, and tonight’s event proved this to be true. Each student that presented was proud of their country and shared great information about its history and development. At the beginning of my freshman year, I befriended many international students, several of whom participated in the CLP. It made me proud to know them and now know them even better. Soukey, Yasee, Ivan, and Ellis were just a few students who spoke at this event, but they were students whom I knew personally. Throughout everyday conversations with each of them I had learned very little about what home meant to them. This event allowed me to get a glimpse into where they came from and why they are how they are. I think the CLP Voice of Africa was not only eye opening but also very impactful. I realized that I cannot and should not take my home for granted, and the knowledge that is spread about North America and its countries is not equivalent to the knowledge spread about Africa and its countries. Africa is not a country, it is a continent with rich diversity among its countries and this CLP showed this to be true. 

This is just one of the many CLP events I have gone to, but it’s one that stuck out to me personally. Whether you are a Furman student or plan to be one day I encourage you to use CLPs as an opportunity to learn and engage in topics you are interested in.

If you have any questions about CLP’s or the requirements for them, please feel free to reach out.

With love,

Olivia Pearson