FUGE: The importance of gospel music to the black community

Last updated February 18, 2022

By Mia Freeman

Hey hey Furman fam! 

My name is Mia Freeman and I’m a sophomore health science and sociology double major from Atlanta, GA. Outside of my social media internship here with the Admissions Office, I’m a Residential Assistant, member of Mosaic, FUGE, NAACP, SLBC, MAPS, writer/editor for the Diversity Matters section of the paladin, part-time tutor, and part-time Nordstrom employee. I’m super excited to share my experiences as a Furman student to provide more insight into diverse communities and inclusive efforts at Furman for prospective students.

As the Furman history book continues to progress over the years, Black students continue to expand that history by creating organizations and communities to promote more inclusive spaces for students at Furman. Furman University Gospel Ensemble creates a space where African American church culture is embraced. Gospel music is important because of the progressive history and sense of solidarity it gives to the African American community. Historically, gospel music helped enslaved people escape to freedom by using codes and spiritual hymns as a guide. Gospel music also provided unity for the black community during the civil rights era. Hymns would often be turned into chants for marches. By using religion in the fight against inequality, gospel music promoted a spirit of hope and served as an outlet used to worship God.

FUGE ministers to the Furman community by continuing to promote that sense of hope and serve as a spiritual outlet. Gospel music brings people together and provides positive energy while giving students an opportunity to worship God. The Furman University Gospel Ensemble performs on campus, in churches, and throughout the community. It also serves as an instrument for the promotion of religion, diversity, and cultural awareness. FUGE stands as a symbol of unity and worship for the black community as ongoing injustices continue to happen. Perspective students may feel as if their talents won’t be embraced, or that their culture differs from the majority on campus. Despite this insecurity, there are many different organizations that can help you express your culture, religion, and find community! 

To learn more information about FUGE text @fugee21 to 81010 and follow us on Instagram at fu_gospel!

Can’t wait until my next entry so I can provide more information for you all! I love feedback so if there’s anything that you’d like for me to cover, let me know.

Thanks for the read,

-Mia 🙂