Admissions Blog Posts

5 Things College Life Has Taught Me

Last updated November 22, 2021

By Andersen Wade

Obviously, you come to college to learn, but some of the most important things you learn actually aren’t even in the classroom. There are so many life skills and lessons you gain throughout your four years. Even as a sophomore, I feel like I’ve learned so much already and I can’t wait to see what else comes from my time at Furman. These are some of my favorite lessons I’ve learned, but they’re also some things I wish I knew before I started college. Hopefully this can serve as some life lessons for you and help you make the most of your 4 years!

1. You can make friends at any point in life

We all know that making friends at the beginning of college is stressful, but what makes it easier is that everyone is in the same boat. Every single freshman is so excited to meet new people and friendships are formed so fast! Something I learned quickly though is that you can make new relationships at any point in your 4 years. You don’t have to meet someone at the beginning of freshman year to be best friends with them. Maybe the relationships you form sophomore, junior, or even senior year will end up being the most meaningful! All it takes is a simple text, lunch date, random hang out, or maybe just a class together for a friendship to start.

2. Don’t sweat the small stuff

This has been a lesson throughout my whole life that I just really started to understand since being in college. There is so much more to life than a bad grade or a bad day. Letting one small thing bring you down does absolutely no good. It’s so important to keep things in perspective and know that in the end, the small things don’t matter.

3. You are in charge of your own happiness

I cannot stress this enough. You are in charge of your life and your happiness! This kind of goes off “don’t sweat the small stuff” but even in the grand scheme of things, if there’s something in your life not bringing you joy, why give it any more of your time? Life is too short to be surrounded by people or things that cause you more stress than joy. It’s ok to remove yourself from situations when it’s necessary. It can be really easy to get caught up in the day-to-day life as a college student, but when you think about it, this is such a fun and exciting time of your life! Make the most of it and enjoy where you are.

These are some of the happiest moments from my past semester…

4. Have no regrets, sometimes…

When you look back on your college experience, what things are you going to regret? What do you want to look back and remember? This is always something I want to think about because forming memories with my friends is always one of my absolute favorite things. Take pictures of everything. Document moments. Remember when you’re at your happiest! With all of that being said, also know when to be responsible and when to focus on your future. One of the worst feelings is not being fully prepared for a big test or assignment and regretting whatever took your attention from that. There’s a healthy balance to find where you live your best life and make the most of every day and every memory – but then also know when you need to focus on your priorities.

5. Make the life you want to live

Living the life you want to and striving for your dreams is all part of college. Anything is possible, the world is your oyster. You have so many options to pursue through majors, organizations, internships, research, study abroad, and literally so much more. You can really make your life look however you want it to, but that’s something for you to figure out for yourself. Take control and take your four years at college to find out who you are and what you want to do with your life! It can sound stressful or intimidating, but it’s actually one of the most exciting things ever when you get into it!

So much happens during your 4 years at college – some good, some bad, but through it all, you’re learning lessons that will carry through the rest of your life. I already know that I’ve grown so much through the experiences I’ve had at Furman and I will always be grateful for that.

All the love!

Andersen