Eating on a Meal Plan: How it Works

Each year at Furman University you will purchase a meal plan as part of your tuition. Simply a meal plan looks like this:

But what does all of that mean? Ill break it down for you…

• Each board swipe gives you one meal in the “DH” our dining hall. The DH serves American, Italian, International, Vegan, and Gluten free cuisine along with our self-serve options such as the salad bar, panini making station, cereal bar, bagel/ waffle station and other rotational options! 
  • Each exchange is a meal exchange that you can use at our restaurants around campus. Furman has Chick-Fil-A, Moe’s, Sushi with Gusto’s, Bread & Bowl, and our very own restaurant the Paddock. Each of these restaurants have a specific menu with meals that qualify for these meal exchanges.

• Bonus meals are used for campus guests. When we have visitors on campus they are welcome to join us in our dining facilities and we are given these extra swipes to cover their meals.

A lunch service in the Furman Dining Hall. August 2020. - Furman News

• Lastly, are food points. Each food point translates to a dollar that you can spend at any of the campus restaurants, the Library Cafe, or the campus Starbucks.

Furman Bubble Not Immune to Nationwide Staffing Shortage - The Paladin

Your freshman year you have the unlimited meal plan, which gives you all the meal swipes, meal exchanges, and food points you could need and more! The majority of your meals will be in the DH, but a meal or two a week at our campus restaurants never hurt anybody! I typically use my food points for my morning coffee from Starbucks or a bagel at the Library Cafe. Furman provides us at students with a variety if options for each meal so you don’t have to have the same meal twice… unless you want to!

I remember not completely knowing what living on a meal plan was going to be like before arriving on campus. I was always worried I would run out of swipes, exchanges, or money but in reality you are given more than enough to get you through the semester. And if for some reason you run low on anything you are able to replenish whatever is needed! Living on a meal plan gives you more freedom than you think and with the amazing food we have here at Furman is it easy.

As always if you guys have any questions do not be afraid to reach out !!

Talk to you guys next week 🙂

-Olivia

Recent Posts

Some Thoughts From A Public Health Major!

Hi guys! For this week's blog, I thought it would be awesome to give you guys a glimpse into something besides my psychology and sociology major and the other things I'm involved with on campus....

Continue Reading >

Getting off Campus: What to do

When deciding where I wanted to attend college a big factor for me was making sure I did not have a campus that I felt "stuck" on. I loved the idea of attending a small...

Continue Reading >

Business As Usual

All About Business Administration Are you interested in being a Business Administration major at Furman? The Business department is actually one of the unique majors at Furman to which students have to apply. When you...

Continue Reading >