Admissions Blog Posts

This is Me!

Last updated September 29, 2021

By Angel Sarmiento

Hello!

My name is Angel Sarmiento and I am so excited to be here, writing this blog for you all. On tours and such, I usually give a brief introduction that includes the basics and goes a little something like this:

“Hi guys! My name’s Angel and I’m going to be your tour guide for today. I am a junior here at Furman from Greenville, SC and I am double-majoring in Psychology and Sociology!”

Those quick little sentences seem to sum me up quite nicely, but it is so nice to have this platform to be somewhat more casual and tell you all a little bit more about myself.

While I say that I am from Greenville, it’s usually because it’s the simplest answer to give that doesn’t really bring about any questions. I was born in Caracas, Venezuela and moved to the US when I was about three years old with my mom. We lived in Miami for some time before bopping around and living in Clearwater, Florida before finally ending up in Greenville! I’ve been here for about eight years now, so that’s why I call Greenville home now.

Being in Greenville for a while, Furman was always on my radar. Furman is so open to the Greenville community that my family and I often took advantage of the beautiful campus and walking trails Furman had to offer. Once the time came around to visit colleges, I couldn’t wait to see what Furman had in store.

What captivated me from the moment I got there was how genuinely nice everyone was. I thought to myself “Okay okay, it’s the admissions office. They’re paid to be nice.” The real test was seeing how students interacted on campus. My tour guide was saying hi to people left and right: students, faculty, and staff. I was blown away by how tight-knit the community was! I knew this was a place where I could see myself. Fast-forward three years later and I am involved with Admissions and Orientation staff, work at the library, and have had the best moments of my life here!

I can’t wait to tell you guys more about my experiences and involvements as a Furman student and Greenville local!

Best,

Angel Sarmiento 🙂