Furman’s Geography: Greenville

By: Wills Mackay

Life is amazing in Greenville. As a Furman student, I have gained far more from my college experience than I anticipated. Furman’ campus is in such a fantastic small, yet growing city. Consistently ranked as one of America’s top places to visit and to live, Greenville is ideally located with incredible access to mountain, beaches, and a great downtown environment. The variety of activities that are possible within a two-hour radius is extraordinary.

The geography makes it easy to go mountain biking after class or go fly fishing and hiking on the weekends. I had so much fun fishing in the lake right on the front lawn of our Clark Murphy dorm sophomore year! Days like that make studying a lot less stressful. I enjoy having the ability to spend quality time outside.

The Carolina mountains are on our doorstep, and the beaches are only about three hours away. The weather is also great, with the best of all four seasons represented during the academic year. Life at Furman means life in the Carolinas, and that is something that is extremely special. Coming from Texas, I have really enjoyed the unique geography compared to the flatness I grew up around in my hometown.

The downtown restaurant scene in Greenville is vibrant and full of great food. Trying new restaurants is always a good way to immerse yourself into different cultural experiences. New restaurants pop up often—so I am constantly trying new things!  A few personal favorites of mine include Rocky’s Hot Chicken, Smoke on the Water, and Hall’s Chophouse. Greenville will never disappoint on the food scene!

Being able to combine a first-class education while experiencing the benefits of an interesting and growing city in such a beautiful part of America is an amazing opportunity.  

Recent Posts

Fraternities at Furman

By: Andrew Daphnis At Furman University, Greek Life looks very different for a university located in the South. On campus, we have four fraternities and seven sororities. With delayed recruitment, Greek organizations wait until the...

Continue Reading >

Work Study at Furman University

By: Caitlin Kirby Money becomes somewhat of a precious matter during your time as a college student, evident by the stereotypical cup of ramen dinners and the Cookout runs you’ll have during your time here....

Continue Reading >

Quick Eats on Campus

By: Emily Enlow Need a quick bite between classes? That morning caffeine wearing off? Furman has a ton of dining options, but I want to highlight my favorite quick snack options on campus: The Library...

Continue Reading >