Celebrating Black History Month

February is Black History Month, a celebration of Black people, Black culture, and Black life! At Furman we take the time to celebrate Black History Month through lots of programming, cool events, and social activities.

As you can see from the schedule, there’s a lot going on!

We kicked off Black History Month with a CLP featuring Harvard Law’s first Deaf Blind graduate and an outdoor tabling event where students could get some Black History Month swag.

For my BHM swag, I chose a pin for my backpack. Every year they give out these cool pins from a Black owned business and I’ve been collecting them since Freshman year. 

I’m excited for this year’s programming because there’s a good mix of in person and virtual events. In a year not taken over by a global pandemic, these events would be all in person, but I’ve actually loved the move to predominately virtual programming.

Having virtual events had made it a lot easier to attend programming and stay involved in various student organizations without running around all the time.

I’m looking most forward to the February 16th Melanated & Hydrated Self-Care Day and the Issa Vibe Paint Party. But whatever your vibe, there really is something for everybody this month!

These events are a fun way to learn more about Black culture and history, connect with other Furman students, and take some time out of your busy schedule to relax and enjoy something different.

In closing, I want to remember that celebrating Black history is not just a month long thing. There are a handful of student organizations, offices on campus, and many students who help us share and celebrate Black culture and history.

If you’re interested in learning more, you can check out Furman’s SLBC (Student League for Black Culture), NAACP, CIC (Center for Inclusive Communities), and SDC (Student Diversity Council). 

SLBC and NAACP specifically host programming all year round to share and celebrate Black culture with the Furman community.

If you’re interested in connecting with a Black student about life at Furman, you can look into Furman Admissions MOSAIC and request to connect with a multicultural student ambassador.

-Asha

Recent Posts

Allow the Unexpected

Coming into Furman, I never anticipated my life to involve being on stage. I always got a lot of anxiety from being in front of large groups of people. However, in my time at Furman...

Continue Reading >

The Greenbelt Community: Furman’s Beautiful Alternative Housing

Furman has taken leaps and bounds towards creating a more sustainable campus-our Shi Institute is a net positive building, after all. The most fun part about this is the Greenbelt Community Engaged Living program. Along...

Continue Reading >

A Glimpse into Summer Orientation

With a few sessions of Summer Orientation completed, today, I want to give you guys a glimpse into what a day of “Summer O” is like for our incoming freshmen! The day starts with O-Staff...

Continue Reading >