Next Four, Best Four: Tips and Tricks For Finding your Home in a Pandemic

Last updated February 6, 2021

Have you ever taken something for granted? I know I sure have. If anything, the nature of Covid-19 has forced me to reflect on every important decision I’ve ever made in my life. Watching prospective ‘Dins go through the college decision process has brought to light just how much I took for granted my seemingly easy decision process. I was able to tour campuses in person, stay overnight with students, meet face to face with my admissions counselors, and get a general feel for the places in which my schools were located. Because y’all have much more limited opportunities in this season of decision making, I’ve compiled a few tips and tricks to make the most of these few months before the looming May 1 deadline approaches. 

Check out social media: I tell every prospective student that I interact with about this. My biggest advice would be to open up Instagram and type the school name in the search bar. You are likely to find the school’s official account, but make sure you also check out the admissions account, accounts of different clubs and organizations, and even the dining page! Because many of you won’t have a chance to explore all of your schools in person, definitely take advantage of this resource! I truly believe that this is such an authentic and genuine look into the day to day of what it is like to be a student at any given school.  

Utilize your admissions counselor: I cannot stress this one enough! Your counselor’s job is quite literally to be there for you and help you in any way you may need- whether this is answering a question, connecting you with a student, or even just to chat! They are here for you and more importantly, they are EXCITED to help you. Ultimately, we are all on your team and just want you to be happy- never forget this! Wondering who your admissions counselor at Furman is? Check it out here: https://www.furman.edu/people/counselor/

Watch virtual tours / explore the school’s website : Although different colleges and universities may not have had this resource pre Covid-19, I can almost assure you that they will now! Most websites will have a section where you can take a virtual “tour” around campus. Believe it or not, I feel that these are really accurate to what a real tour would be like on campus! Covid-19 has forced schools all around the world to find a new way to welcome prospective students and their families, and I can assure you that you will find these beneficial. Further, oftentimes schools will have a YouTube page full of videos taken throughout the years that will assist you as well. Here is Furman’s virtual tour: https://www.furman.edu/virtual-campus-tour/

Connect with a student: When I was applying to colleges, I often seemed to get caught up in the shininess of pretty postcards, t shirts in the mail, and acceptance packets full of confetti and posters to hang in my bedroom. All this considered, I really loved when I could chat with a student that had similar interests and career goals as me. This made me feel like I could truly and authentically thrive at said school, which gave me a lot of clarity through my decision process. Further, these students just want to be there to help you the best way they know how- by answering your questions and helping you see yourself on their campus.

I’ve been thinking about all of you prospective students so much recently. I simply cannot imagine what y’all’s search, application, and decision making process has looked like with Covid thrown into the mix. Remember we all just want the best for you!!! I know you’ll thrive wherever you end up.

Have a happy week,

Alex