All Things Alex: Enneagram Edition

Last updated September 26, 2020

Hey there! 

Surprise, I’m back!! My sweet summer admissions internship ended back in July, and I’ve been anxiously awaiting the return to blogging and all things Furman social media! With that, I am absolutely ECSTATIC to be back as one of the lead social media interns this year! Furms has given me so much, and all I want to do is show y’all just how special our school is. I’ve been lucky to share quite a bit about myself with y’all, so I thought I would take a bit of a different approach in introducing myself this time around. 

During the past six months, life has felt a little stagnant. I quickly had to adapt and invest myself into different things just to keep myself from going absolutely insane at home. I found plenty of things that I really enjoyed doing, but I have a newfound obsession: the enneagram test. For those who may not know, the enneagram test is an interactive personality test that uses the enneagram model of personality. In this model, there are 9 personality types, related to each other according to the geometry of the Enneagram figure. I’m not entirely sure what it is about this test that is so fascinating to me, but I am obsessed, simply stated. I think it might be because I just love anything that helps me understand myself and my loved ones better, and I feel like this test is definitely one of the more accurate tools.

After taking the test a million times, I’ve learned that I’m a type 2. My results went back and forth from a type 2 and a type 7, so I’m going to touch on both of them! Let’s unpack the Type 2 enneagram first. Type 2 is called “The Helper”, mainly because they feel the constant need to be there for others. According to the enneagram institute, those who are type 2 are, “empathetic, sincere, and warm-hearted. They are friendly, generous, and self-sacrificing, but can also be sentimental, flattering, and people-pleasing. They are well-meaning and driven to be close to others, but can slip into doing things for others in order to be needed.” This really hit HOME with me, y’all. Just another reason I simply love the enneagram test. 

Now, introducing my other top result, type 7, or “The Enthusiast”. Honestly, I see a lot of type 7 in me as sevens are extraverted and optimistic, but also sometimes can be over-extended and feeling scattered. I have a need to be involved in as many things as I can, often leaving me very overwhelmed and as the Enneagram Institute says, scattered. Sevens are called “The Enthusiast” because they’re enthusiastic about pretty much everything, which is something I can relate to. I’m my friend group’s designated hype woman, and I wouldn’t have it any other way! Whether I’m pumping up my classmates to study the night before a test, my acapella group before a concert, or my orientation group before FDOC, you can always find me with a smile on my face looking at the glass half full.    

If you’re interested in taking this test to learn more about yourself and your personality, here’s a link to a free one: https://www.truity.com/test/enneagram-personality-test If you’re obsessed like yours truly, you can pay to take a test through the Enneagram Institute. Whatever you’re feeling works, as long as you always remember that if you ever want to talk enneagram, I’m your girl!! But seriously, if you ever want to chat about anything Furman or even life related, you know where to find me.

I hope y’all have a happy week! 

Alex